- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: June 27, 2006
- Originally Released: 2006
- Label: Riverside
Entertainment Weekly - p.79
"[Coltrane's] style is a perfect complement to the jagged beauty of Monk's music." -- Grade: A
JazzTimes - p.81
"The 1957 meetings of Thelonious Monk and John Coltrane produced some of bop's most thrilling music."
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Monk's Mood (False Start)
- 2.Monk's Mood
- 3.Crepuscle With Nellie (Take 1)
- 4.Crepuscle With Nellie (Take 2) (Previously Unissued)
- 5.Crepuscle With Nellie (Breakdown)
- 6.Blues For Tomorrow (1st Stereo Release)
- 7.Crepuscle With Nellie (Edited: Retakes 4 & 5)
- 8.Crepuscle With Nellie (Retakes 6)
- 9.Off Minor (Take 4)
- 10.Off Minor (Take 5)
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Abide With Me (Take 1) (Previously Unissued)
- 2.Abide With Me
- 3.Epistrophy (Short Version)
- 5.Well, You Needn't (Opening)
- 6.Well, You Needn't (
- 7.Ruby, My Dear (with Coleman Hawkins)
- 8.Ruby, My Dear (with John Coltrane)
- 10.Trinkle, Tinkle
Personnel: Thelonious Monk (piano); Thelonious Monk; Ray Copeland (trumpet); Wilbur Ware (upright bass); Gigi Gryce (alto saxophone); Coleman Hawkins, John Coltrane (tenor saxophone); Art Blakey, Shadow Wilson (drums).
Audio Remasterer: Joe Tarantino.
Liner Note Author: Orrin Keepnews.
Recording information: Reeves, Sound Studios, New York, NY.
Photographers: Esmond Edwards; Bob Parent.
Arranger: Thelonious Monk.
This fine two-disc set brings together all the recordings Thelonious Monk made for the small, influential Riverside label in 1957. The piano eccentric cut excellent versions of some of his best compositions during that year, including "Off Minor," "Epistrophy," "Well, You Needn't," and the lovely "Ruby My Dear." The exhilarating saxophone work of John Coltrane makes these dates instant classics. Like most "complete sessions," the set features plenty of false starts and alternate takes that might seem extraneous to the casual fan, but Monk fanatics will be overjoyed at being provided with a glimpse into the brilliant artist's studio process.