Daniel Benoit Full Circle
Hurry! Only 1 copy left Sorry no back-orders
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$10.56 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.42 (12% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: June 27, 2006
- Originally Released: 2006
- Label: Peak Records
JazzTimes - p.78"'First Day of School,' which combines the best of Benoit's smooth jazz and orchestral influences with cascading piano runs and sharp, symphonic melodies, is a keeper."
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: David Benoit (piano, keyboards); David Benoit; Pat Kelley (guitar, acoustic guitar); Paul Jackson, Jr. (guitar, electric guitar); Dwight Sills (guitar); Paul Rayner-Brown (acoustic guitar); Timothy Landauer (cello); Dan Higgins (flute, saxophone); Tim Weisberg (flute); Gary Meek (saxophone); Jerry Hey, Ron King (trumpet); William Frank "Bill" Reichenbach Jr. (trombone); Jeff Lorber (Fender Rhodes piano, keyboards, synthesizer, programming, drum programming); Brian Bromberg (upright bass); Nathan East (bass guitar); John "4 Daddman" Robinson, Michael White (drums); Luis Conte (percussion); Oscar Castro-Neves (acoustic guitar); Euge Groove (saxophone); Alex Acu¤a (percussion).
Audio Mixers: Clark Germain; Paul Rayner-Brown.
Liner Note Authors: David Benoit; Jeffrey Weber; Jeff Lorber; Paul Rayner-Brown.
Recording information: Funky Joint, Sherman Oaks, CA; JHL SOund, Pacific Palisades, CA; Ocean Way Recording, Hollywood, CA.
Photographers: Carl Studna; Sonny Mediana.
Arrangers: David Benoit; Jeff Lorber; Paul Rayner-Brown.
Though he's skirted around in various genres, for Full Circle, as the title suggests, David Benoit returns to where he started: contemporary jazz. With the same set of musicians in the same studio as the ones who were used on the 1985 release This Side Up, Benoit plays his piano expertly through all ten tracks on the album (and only one, "Aqua de Beber," by Jobim and de Moraes, is a cover). It is, in short, smooth jazz at its finest, which means a lot of horns, a happily funky bass, pretty breaks, and a whole lot of production. It's all very clean and safe, and even though there are many sections in which solos appear to be happening, everything's so controlled and accurate that it seems as if it were all written out in precise black notes anyway. If nothing else, this attests to the expertise and talents of the musicians who Benoit has on Full Circle (himself included), like keyboardist Jeff Lorber, producer and guitarist Paul Brown, percussionist Luis Conte, and bassist Nathan East. The songs are romantic, poignant, and still fun, and Benoit and company are able to make the music and the genre come alive with their phrasing and runs, bringing some step into the songs -- not enough for dancing, perhaps, but certainly enough to get the groove going a bit, like in the playful, summery "Yusuke the Ghost" or the Brubeck-inspired "Caf‚ Rio," which keeps things from getting boring or maudlin. Yes, inevitably there are many moments of extreme sentimentality, but that just comes with the smooth jazz territory. Is it Thelonious Monk? No, certainly not. But for contemporary jazz lovers, Full Circle should definitely satisfy. ~ Marisa Brown
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 10 ratings.
Based on 10 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
Top ranking titles in the Jazz genre:
- Duke Ellington Duke's Mixture / At the Bal Masque (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Buck Clayton How Hi The Fi (featuring Woody Herman) / Jumpin' At The Woodside (2-CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Gloria Lynne I Wish You Love / Go Go Go (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Charlie Byrd Travelin' Man / The Touch of Gold (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Vee-Jay: Very Best of Jazz, Volume 5 (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 70s - Absolute Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 4 - Disc 2 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Jukebox Hits of the 70s, Volume 4 & 5 (2-CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule - Volume 1 - Disc 2 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE