America Folk & Blues: The Roots of Americana
by Various Artists
- Released: July 4, 2006
- Originally Released: 2006
- Label: Empire Musicwerks
Dirty Linen - p.63"[W]ith the release of this multi-artist compilation, the diversity and strength of this tradition is clearly evident."
- 1.Glenn YarbroughJohn Hardy
- 2.Howard RobertsCotton Fields
- 3.Barbara DaneRamblin'
- 4.Mrs. Edd PresnellAmazing Grace
- 5.LeadbellyGoodnight Irene
- 6.Maxine SullivanChristopher Columbus
- 7.OdettaHe's Got The Whole World In His Hands
- 8.Little Sammy DavisGoin' To New Orleans
- 9.Lightnin' HopkinsGoin' To Dallas
- 10.Ed McCurdyColorado Trail
- 11.Etta BakerRailroad Bill
- 12.Mike SeegerCripple Creek
- 13.J.B. LenoirEisenhower Blues
- 14.John Jacob NilesThe Cuckoo
- 15.Sunnyland SlimGoing Back To Memphis
- 16.Earnest LewisWest Coast Blues
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
This eclectic set spans both the ethnic and pop faces of American folk and blues music. The commercial side is represented by songs like Glenn Yarborough's polished version of "John Henry" and studio guitarist Howard Roberts's "Cotton Fields," while tracks like Mrs. Edd Presnell's delightful mandolin version of "Amazing Grace" and Sunnyland Slim's "Going Back to Memphis" showcase its older, more authentic performers. Most interestingly, there's a live excerpt from the legendary composer and song catcher John Jacob Niles (who wrote "Go 'Way From My Window" and brought the song "Pretty Polly" to public attention), performing the ancient ballad "The Cuckoo" in his idiosyncratic falsetto style.
American Folksay Ballads And Dances, Volumes 5-6 / Chain... (CD)(4)
$2.98 on SALE
Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD)(14)
99¢ on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!