Nancy Wilson Hollywood - My Way
Out of Print: Future availability is unknown
- by Joe Williams ~ At Newport '63 / Jump For Joy - A Golden Classics Edition ~ $12.98 (Save 24%)
- by Nancy Wilson ~ Guess Who I Saw Today: ...Sings Songs of Lost Love ~ $10.78
- by Nancy Wilson / Cannonball Adderley ~ Nancy Wilson / Cannonball Adderly ~ $10.78
- Released: July 1, 2006
- Originally Released: 2006
- Label: Blue Note Records
Mojo (Publisher) - p.1334 stars out of 5 -- "A '60s compilation featuring unsurpassable songs by film's greatest writers..."
- 1.My Shining Hour
- 2.The Days Of Wine And Roses
- 3.Moon River
- 4.Secret Love
- 5.Dearly Beloved
- 6.I'll Never Stop Loving You
- 7.When Did You Leave Heaven
- 8.Almost In Your Arms (Love Song from 'Houseboat')
- 9.Wild Is The Wind
- 10.The Second Time Around
- 11.Did I Remember
- 12.You'd Be So Nice To Come Home To
- 13.Alfie (Bonus Track)
- 14.The Look Of Love (Bonus Track)
- 15.More (Theme from 'Mondo Cane') (Bonus Track)
- 16.The Shadow Of Your Smile (Love Theme from 'The Sandpiper') (Bonus Track)
- 17.Watch What Happens (Bonus Track)
Personnel: Nancy Wilson (vocals); Nancy Wilson; John Collins, Herb Ellis, Howard Roberts , Al Hendrickson (guitar); Ann Mason Stockton (harp); Justin Gordon (reeds, saxophone); Bob Richards, Jules Jacob, Jack Nimitz, Abe Most, Plas Johnson , Bill Perkins, Arthur "Skeets" Herfurt, Buddy Collette (reeds); Harry Klee, Wilbur Schwartz (saxophone); Don Fagerquist, Harry "Sweets" Edison , Ray Triscari, John Audino, Tony Terran, Bud Brisbois (trumpet); Dick Noel, Lew McReary, Bill Schaefer, Vern Friley, Tommy Pederson (trombone); Donn Trenner (piano, harpsichord); Ronnell Bright (piano); Mike Melvoin (organ); Buster Williams (bass instrument); Larry Bunker (percussion); Pete Candoli (trumpet); Earl Palmer (drums, percussion, bells).
Liner Note Author: Will Friedwald.
Recording information: Capitol Studios, New York, NY (06/11/1963-04/01/1968).
Author: Richard Seidel.
Arrangers: Oliver Nelson; Sid Feller; Billy May.
Like one of her biggest selling albums, Yesterday's Love Songs/Tomorrow's Blues, Hollywood My Way is filled with strong material, fine arrangements, and more than enough evidence of Nancy Wilson's considerable and elegant vocal talents. One thing Hollywood My Way doesn't have, though, is a big hit like Yesterday's Love Songs' "Guess Who I Saw Today," and that goes a long way in explaining Capitol's reticence about releasing it. Regardless, this collection of movie songs ranging from 1931's "When Did You Leave Heaven" to 1962's "Days of Wine and Roses" (with Jimmy Jones' stellar arrangements) is one of Wilson's best. As usual, she deftly works through a variety of tempi with aplomb. "My Shining Hours"' breakneck speed and arrangement are kept in check by her behind-the-beat, elongated phrasing, while the ballad tempo in "Days of Wine of Roses" is ignited with an assured and dramatic vocal buildup. Wilson's supple voice seems especially fit for the bossa nova treatment of "Moonriver" -- she easily shifts from a whisper to full-throated dynamics over the lilting yet steady beat. Equally impressive is her urbane blues delivery on "When Did You Leave Heaven." ~ Stephen Cook
WDAS 105.3FM - Soulful Christmas, Volumes 1 & 2 (2-CD Box...
$19.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 6 ratings.
Based on 6 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!