- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 3 hours, 20 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: January 2, 2002
- Originally Released: 1995
- Label: A&E Home Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Box Set
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Interactive Features:
- Interactive Menus
- Scene Access
- Interactive Games: Interactive Historical Timeline of Critical Events
- Text/Photo Galleries:
- Filmographies: Terry Jones
- Biographies: Terry Jones
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"900 years ago the Christians of Europe began a war to conquer the world in the name of Christ. The center of that world was Jerusalem."
- opening for the series
Former Monty Python member Terry Jones hosts this journey along the ancient route of the Crusades from Europe to the near East. Computer animation, "living" paintings, battle recreations and lush illustration bring this bloody, enriching and sometimes comical clash of Christianity and Islam back to life. Each of the 4 episodes is 50 minutes long.
Ex-Monty Python member, Terry Jones, takes us through 200 years (1096 to 1270) of medieval history, explaining the Crusades and the religious conflicts of the era, using re-enactments and reconstructions. Each program is introduced by Roger Mudd. Series premiered June 5, 6, 7, 8, 1995 on the Arts and Entertainment Network.
- IBM provided the CLUNY computer reconstructions.
- Consultants were Sir Steven Runciman and Profesor Suheil Zakkar.
- Additional credits: Liz Friedman (graphic designer); David Lazenby (armour designer); Will Winch (assistant director); Joe Ryan (stage lighting); Sarah Lambert, Rod Williams, Lucy Jago (research)
- Quotation Readers: Jonathan Adams, Sean Barrett, Hash Chamchoun, Anthony Zaki, Kammy Darweish, Kate Ereira
- Bob Stewart played the Minstrel in "Part 4 Destruction."
- Copyright 1995 BBC/A&E Network.