Atlantic Unearthed: Soul Sisters
by Various Artists
|You Save:||$1.40 (10% Off)|
Temporarily Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
- Clearance CDs with the ZHUS prefix may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: June 20, 2006
- Originally Released: 2006
- Label: Atlantic
Uncut - p.1044 stars out of 5 -- "On SOUL SISTERS, rarities by Patti LaBelle and Baby Washington highlight a strong set."
Living Blues - p.70"[T]he strongest among the disc's previously released tracks are Irma Thomas's 'Full Time Woman'...and Jackie Moore's 'It Ain't Who You Know'..."
- 1.Aretha FranklinMy Way
- 2.Margie JosephIt's Growing
- 3.Patti LaBelle & The Blue Belles(1-2-3-4-5-6-7) Count The Days
- 4.Doris TroyPlease Little Angel
- 5.Mary WellsHands Off My Baby
- 6.Dee Dee SharpMy Best Friend's Man
- 7.Dee Dee WarwickRescue Me
- 8.Baby WashingtonWhat Becomes Of The Brokenhearted
- 9.Irma ThomasFull Time Woman
- 10.Judy ClayI Got To Love Somebody's Baby
- 11.Esther PhillipsCheater Man
- 12.Laura LeeWhat A Man
- 13.The Sweet InspirationsAin't Nothing Gonna Change Me
- 14.Bettye SwannIt Ain't That Easy To Lose
- 15.Barbara LewisThankful For What I Got
Like the stellar CELLAR FULL OF MOTOWN discs that came before it, ATLANTIC UNEARTHED collects rare and unreleased tracks from the label's biggest soul and R&B stars, and shines the spotlight on the work of overlooked artists as well. The SOUL SISTERS edition, naturally, focuses on the ladies, and offers obscure nuggets from legends like Aretha Franklin (who checks in with a woozy, sauntering take on Sinatra's "My Way") and Patti Labelle (who, backed here by her Bluebelles, brings a rough, bluesy edge to the girl-group aesthetic). While these tracks are certainly excellent, it's performances by the likes of Doris Troy ("Please Little Angel"), Judy Clay (the aching "I Got to Love Somebody's Baby"), and Baby Washington (offering a world-weary version of the Motown classic "What Becomes of the Broken Hearted") that really make this collection a treat. Culled primarily from the late 1960s and early '70s, ATLANTIC UNEARTHED is another wonderful testament to the remarkable artistry and lasting significance of black music from the era.
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!