Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: R
- Run Time: 2 hours, 14 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: December 8, 2009
- Originally Released: 1991
- Label: Kam
- Note: The legend of Huang Fei Hong-part 1
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 2.35
- Dolby Digital EX 6.1 - Cantonese, Mandarin, Thai
- Dolby True HD 5.1 - Cantonese, Mandarin, Thai
- Subtitles - English, Thai
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"We can't fight guns with kung fu."
- Iron Yim (Yam Sam-Kwoon) to Wong Fei Hung (Jet Li)
"If we fight each other rather than them, soon we'll lose the flour to make our rolls."
- Wong Fei Hung
"If they really have gold, why do they come here' Maybe we're standing on gold now."
- Wong Fei Hung to his student
New York Times - 05/21/1992
"...Balletic displays of martial arts prowess....A witty, extravagantly picturesque homage to Sergio Leone..."
Entertainment Weekly - 01/12/2001
"...A thrilling example of what results when muscle meets grace." -- Rating: A- - Editor's Choice
- 1.Audio Format: Dolby True Hd 7. 1), Dolby Digital Ex 6. 1
- 2.Video Format: 1920 x 1080p Full Hd, 16:9 Widescreen 2. 35:1
- 3.Languages: Cantonese, Mandarin, Thai
- 4.Subtitles: English, Chinese (T / S), Thai
- 5.Region Code: A
- 6.Year Made: 1991
- 7.Running Time: 134
ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA is a grandiose, epic retelling of the adventures of Ching Dynasty folk hero Wong Fei Hung, whose legendary mastery of a variety of kung fu styles and resistance to Westernization have made him the subject of dime novels and popular lore in China since the 1930s. The subject of a slew of films, Wong Fei-Hung's popularity declined in the 1980s in favor of "Americanized" western-style gunslingers, making this film a throwback of sorts, with a strong pro-unification political subtext, plus plenty of brilliant martial arts action.
Big Battles |
Martial Arts |
Period Piece |
- Born in Lingnan, Canton, in 1847, Wong Fei Hung is one of southern China's most popular folk heroes. He was a master of the Hung Kuen (or Hung Gar) style of fighting, and he inherited an herbal medicine clinic from his father. One of his students actually was a pork butcher named Lam Sai-Wing. Wong died in 1924. No pictures exist of Wong.
- The title of the theme song in ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA tranlates as "A man should support himself."
- Nearly 300 shots were used for the bamboo ladder fight sequence alone.