- Rated: Not Rated
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 2 hours, 2 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: August 19, 2003
- Originally Released: 1984
- Label: Merchant Ivory
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: This is a new Digital Transfer
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 1.77
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital Mono - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
- Ismail Merchant - Producer
- James Ivory - Director
- Ruth Prawer Jhavbala - Source Writer
Performers, Cast and Crew:
New York Times - 08/02/1984
"...Ably and enthusiastically adapted for the screen....The performances, especially that of the astonishing [Redgrave], generate an urgency and momentum to match [Henry] James's own."
New York Times - 12/30/1984
Included in The New York Times "10 BEST FILMS OF 1984"
Variety - 05/23/1984
"...Ivory has a strong eye for moments of human contact and confrontation..."
Adapted from Henry James's novel, THE BOSTONIANS is a stately post-Civil War era drama about strong personalities pitted against one another in a battle of the sexes in which a faith healer's daughter is forced to choose between her mother's religious activities, her passion for women's rights, and her handsome, yet chauvinist, suitor. Directed by James Ivory, the film received two Oscar Nominations, including Best Actress for Vanessa Redgrave.
- THE BOSTONIANS was screened at the Cannes Film Festival in 1984.
- THE BOSTONIANS was shot on location in Boston at the Library of the Boston Athenaeum and The Gibson House Museum, and at Harvard University, Cambridge; Chateau-sur-Mer, Newport, Rhode Island; The Troy Savings Bank Music Hall, Troy, New York; Central Park, New York City; and on Martha's Vineyard.
- Vanessa Redgrave initially turned down the role of Olive Chancellor, but when Glenn Close had to pull out of the project because it conflicted with her role in THE NATURAL, Redgrave signed on.
- THE BOSTONIANS starred three Oscar-winning actresses: Linda Hunt, Vanessa Redgrave, and Jessica Tandy. Redgrave was nominated, but did not win, for Best Actress for her performance in THE BOSTONIANS.