- Rated: R
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 2 hours, 4 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: September 4, 2001
- Originally Released: 1982
- Label: MGM (Video & DVD)
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 1.85
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.85
- Dolby Digital Mono - English, French, Spanish
- Additional Release Material:
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Variety - 09/09/1981
"...The handsome production, superlative craft and sympathetic portraits make for a virtually irresistible piece of entertainment..."
New York Times - 09/18/1984
"...An astonishingly beautiful film, acted to the elegant hilt by Meryl Streep....Dazzling..."
USA Today - 09/07/2001
"...[Pinter] came up with something akin to a cinematic equivalent of Fowles' asides and cultural footnotes that peppered the novel -- licking, to some extent, the problems in adapting what many though was an unadaptable book..."
Brilliant adaptation by Harold Pinter of John Fowles' novel. This richly complex film juxtaposes two stories, one "real" and one fictional, to explore issues of romantic illusion, passion and betrayal. Two actors, both married, star in a movie about the romance between a compelling but morally questionable Victorian Englishwoman and an English nobleman. As the performers become more and more involved in their roles, they begin their own clandestine affair that mirrors the one taking place on screen.
Essential Cinema |
Love Story |
Period Piece |
Theatrical Release |