- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: April 11, 2006
- Originally Released: 2006
- Label: Grateful Dead / WEA
Mojo (Publisher) - p.153
"[I]t's the acoustic segment that shines; It's almost a primer, with crowd-pleasing songs from the previous decade and the odd surprise....The band's interaction is magical and intuitive..."
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Dire Wolf
- 2.Race Is On
- 3.Oh Babe It Ain't No Lie
- 4.It Must Have Been the Roses
- 5.Dark Hollow
- 6.China Doll
- 7.Been All Around This World
- 8.Monkey and The Engineer
- 10.Deep Elem Blues
- 12.To Lay Me Down
- 13.Rosalie McFall
- 14.On the Road Again
- 15.Bird Song
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.To Lay Me Down (Studio Rehearsal)(Bonus Track)
- 2.Iko Iko (Bonus Track)
- 3.Heaven Help the Fool (Bonus Track)
- 4.El Paso (Bonus Track)
- 5.Sage & Spirit (Bonus Track)
- 6.Little Sadie (Bonus Track)
- 7.It Must Have Been the Roses (Alternate Live Version)(Bonus Track)
- 8.Dark Hollow (Alternate Live Version)(Bonus Track)
- 9.Jack-A-Roe (Alternate Live Version)(Bonus Track)
- 10.Cassidy (Alternate Live Version)(Bonus Track)
- 11.China Doll (Alternate Live Version)(Bonus Track)
- 12.Monkey and The Engineer (Live Version)(Bonus Track)
- 13.Oh Babe It Ain't No Lie (Alternate Live Version)(Bonus Track)
- 14.Ripple (Alternate Live Version)(Bonus Track)
- 15.Tom Dooley (Bonus Track)
- 16.Deep Elem Blues (Alternate Live Version)(Bonus Track)
Grateful Dead: Jerry Garcia (guitar, vocals); Bob Weir (guitar, vocals); Brent Mydland (keyboards); Phil Lesh (bass); Mickey Hart, Bill Kreutzmann (drums, percussion).
Recorded live at The Warfield Theater, San Francisco, California between September 25 and October 14, 1980; and at Radio City Music Hall, New York between October 23 and October 31, 1980.
Audio Mixers: Dan Healy ; Tom Flye.
Liner Note Author: Gary Lambert.
Recording information: Club Front, San Rafael, CA (11/17/1978-10/31/1980); Radio City Music Hall, New York, NY (11/17/1978-10/31/1980); Rambler Room, Loyola University, Chicago, IL (11/17/1978-10/31/1980); The Warfield Theatre, San Francisco, CA (11/17/1978-10/31/1980).
Photographers: Jay Blakesberg; John Werner ; Richard McCaffrey; Larry Hulst; Robert Minkin.
Arrangers: Jerry Garcia; Grateful Dead; Robert Hunter.
By late '79, the Dead were beginning a new phase of their existence, with the addition of keyboardist/vocalist Brent Mydland, who added some bluesy grit to the band's sound. This 1980 live document presents the band in a rare acoustic set that finds Mydland settling in nicely, and the other members sounding distinctly invigorated, despite the homey, back-porch arrangements. To complement the stripped down circumstances, the Dead reached into both their folk bag and the more traditional-sounding corners of their own catalog. The traditional "Jack-A-Roe" and "Deep Elem Blues" are given respectful but lively treatments. Beautiful Hunter-Garcia ballads "China Doll" and "It Must've Been the Roses" are rendered with poignancy. "Dire Wolf" and "Dark Hollow" (among others) make a convincing case for the Dead as the godfathers of alt-country.