- Rated: Unrated
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 46 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: February 17, 2004
- Originally Released: 1960
- Label: Criterion
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Dual Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.66
- Dolby Digital Mono 1.0 - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Trailers: Theatrical Trailer
- Ronald Neame - Director (Video Interview)
- Sir John Mills - Star (Audio Interview)
- Essay: by Film Critic and Historian Robert Murphy
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Sight and Sound - 11/01/2007
"Guinness is electrifying....[Price] provides the film's most memorable performance."
A first-rate drama about two Scottish Army colonels, one a beloved softie about to retire, and the other, a dictatorial young officer. Between the two, a bitter conflict arises. Written by James Kennaway, based on his novel. Academy Award Nominations: 3, including Best (Adapted) Screenplay.
When cold, upper-crust Basil Barrow takes command of an army regiment, replacing a warm "up-from-the-ranks" colonel, the stage is set for a clash of the titans. The rank-and-file resent his straight-laced tactics and the officers dislike his snobbish manner -- and soon everybody's up in arms.
- The print used for the Home Vision VHS version is from the Janus collection.
- John Mills was awarded the Best Actor Award at the Venice Film Festival.
- Named One of the Year's Ten Best Films by THE NEW YORK TIMES.