- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 38 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: August 25, 1998
- Originally Released: 1955
- Label: Criterion
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Additional Release Material:
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Empire - 09/01/2007
4 stars out of 5 -- "[A] romantic drama starring Katharine Hepburn at the height of her powers and Venice, never more bewitchingly filmed than by cinematographer Jack Hildyard..."
Sight and Sound - 12/01/2007
"[Lean] manages to bring a depth to the storytelling that you don't find in most picture-postcard Venetian romances."
Based on Arthur Laurent's play THE TIME OF THE CUCKOO, Lean's beautiful, classic romantic drama tells the tale of an American spinster (Hepburn) on holiday in Venice who has an affair with a handsome, and not altogether honest, merchant (Brazzi). Academy Award Nominations: 2, including Best Director, Best Actress--Katharine Hepburn.
Lean's lushly photographed classic about an old maid (Hepburn) who falls in love for the first time while visiting Venice. American tourist Jane Hudson's lack of romantic experience makes her insatiably vulnerable to the lush beauty of Italy, and leaves her wide open to the charms of a handsome Italian man (Brazzi). So intoxicated is Jane by their whirlwind affair that she is reluctant to relinquish her new love, even after discovering that he is married and has a family. A touching performance by Hepburn and stunning Technicolor scenes of Venice make SUMMERTIME an enchanting classic.
- Filmed on location in Venice, Italy; color by Eastman Color.
- Estimated budget of $900,000.
- Additional distributors: Film Distributors (UK); London Films International (UK)
- Received the 1955 National Board of Review: Ten Best Films of the Year and the 1955 New York Film Critics Award for Best Director.
- The print used for the Home Vision Cinema VHS version is from the Janus collection.