Indiscretion of an American Wife / Terminal Station
LOW STOCK: Only 3 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$32.40 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$7.55 (19% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 29 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: August 19, 2003
- Originally Released: 1953
- Label: Criterion
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: Disc Contains Two Cuts of the Same Feature, INDISCRETION OF AN AMERICAN WIFE (72 Mins) and TERMINAL STATION (89 Mins).
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Single Side - Dual Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Mono - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Audio Commentary: Leonard Leff - Film Scholar
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Montgomery Clift & Jennifer Jones|
|Performer:||Richard Beymer, Gino Cervi, Paolo Stoppa, Clelia Matania, Maria Pia Casilio, Nando Bruno, Enrico Viarisio, Enrico Olorio & Giuseppe Forelli|
|Directed by||Vittorio De Sica|
|Edited by||Eraldo Da Roma & Jean Barker|
|Screenwriting by||Cesare Zavattini, Luigi Chiarini, Giorgio Prosperi & Truman Capote|
|Composition by||Alessandro Cicognini|
|Cinematography by||G. R. Aldo|
|Story by||Cesare Zavattini|
|Produced by||Vittorio De Sica & David O. Selznick|
Director Vittorio de Sica's first English language film, INDISCRETION OF AN AMERICAN WIFE, examines the personal romantic crises of a woman caught between romantic love and her duties as a wife and mother. The film takes place over a few hours in Rome's Terminal Station, where Mary (Jennifer Jones) is preparing to leave her Italian lover Giovanni (Montgomery Clift), who begs her to stay with him. While considering her options, Mary and Giovanni sneak off to an empty railroad car for one last passionate fling, but are soon discovered by a railway worker and arrested for indecent conduct. Mary must escape the charges to catch her train--unless she'd prefer to stay in Rome and never return to her family. Jones plays the role deftly, showing the clear pain that either decision will bring upon her, while De Sica firmly plants her dilemma against the swirl of activity and life in the Roman train station.
In Rome's Terminal Station, an adulterous American housewife named Mary is saying her final goodbye to her young lover, Giovanni. But before Mary can board the train, she and Giovanni are arrested after being caught in a rather steamy embrace. Will Mary be set free in time to catch her train' Or will she decide that staying in Rome permanently with Giovanni is the best choice'
- Director de Sica came to the U.S. at the request of Howard Hughes, who promised to back De Sica in any project that he chose. The eccentric Hughes never bothered to meet with De Sica when he arrived in Los Angeles. Instead, famed producer David Selznick convinced De Sica to make INDISCRETION, with Selznick's own wife, Jennifer Jones, playing the lead role.
- Director De Sica didn't speak English. An Italian actor was hired as a go between for Clift and De Sica. The director would explain what he wanted to the Italian actor. Clift watched the actor, and then attempted to mimic his actions.
- The original version of the film was close to two hours long.
- Additional credit: Jean Barker (editor).
- Filmed entirely in Rome's Terminal Station.
- The American version has been edited from its foreign release running time of 87 minutes.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 23 ratings.
Based on 23 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to write an online review of this product!
The Golden Age of Cartoons: Cultoons! Rare, Lost and... (DVD)(11)
$1.98 on SALE
Sons of Kong: 10 Full-Length Movies on 3-DVDs (3D Pop-Up...(99)
$1.98 on SALE
The Trinity Collection [Australian Import] (6-DVD)
$22.99 Super Savings