- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: Unrated
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 42 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: November 25, 2008
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Sony Pictures
- 2-Disc Set
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 2.39
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English, French
- Subtitles - English, French, Spanish - Optional
- Additional Release Material:
- Superhumans: The Making of Hancock
- Seeing the Future
- Building A Better Hero
- Bumps and Bruises
- Mere Mortals
Performers, Cast and Crew:
New York Times - 07/02/2008
"[T]his superhero story comes with some bite....HANCOCK makes for one unexpectedly satisfying and kinky addition to Hollywood's superhero chronicles."
Total Film - 11/01/2008
3 stars out of 5 -- "Smith, Theron an Bateman all sparkler, and the backhanded dialogue edges thrillingly close to ballsy comic-book satire..."
Empire - 01/01/2009
3 stars out of 5 -- "Peter Berg's oddball flick is amusing when it's a parody....Strong performances save the day..."
Hollywood Reporter - 06/24/2008
"Will Smith's powers are even more extraordinary than those of a caped crusader....The movie is a good showcase for him -- and for co-stars Charlize Theron and Jason Bateman."
Peter Berg (THE KINGDOM, FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS) directs this story of a reluctant superhero, John Hancock (Will Smith). Like the best superheroes, Hancock can fly, is bulletproof, and has insurmountable strength. He uses these gifts to fight crime in Los Angeles and save people in distress, Unfortunately, he also is a drunk who leaves a trail of costly destruction behind during his lifesaving pursuits, and his constant sarcasm fails to win him friends. But after Hancock randomly saves his life, public relations executive Ray Embrey (Jason Bateman) decides to give him a makeover and help the superhero change his image so that the police and citizens of Los Angeles will realize how much they need their seemingly inappropriate hero. All the while, Ray's wife, Mary (Charlize Theron)--who seems to simultaneously have a strange connection and aversion to Hancock--worries that her do-gooder husband will end up disappointed by Hancock's antics.
The special effects are quite impressive, as Hancock flies through Los Angeles crashing into buildings, bursting through freeway signs, and flipping automobiles around as if they were wet noodles. Smith evokes a depth and warmth in Hancock; even when he's unpleasant and anti-social, it's clear that there is more to him. Bateman is well cast as a man who really does want to change the world for the better. And Theron is quite touching in her role as a wife to Ray, a mother to Aaron, and ultimately a savior to Hancock. Be forewarned that this rather lighthearted film takes a rather sudden dark turn about three-quarters of the way through, and gunplay and fight scenes abound.
- 1.Dancing in the Street - Martha; the Vandellas, Gaye, Marvin
- 2.Nowhere to Run - Martha; the Vandellas, Holland, Brian
- 3.Mickey's Monkey - Martha; the Vandellas, Holland, Brian
- 4.My Boyfriend's Back - Martha; the Vandellas, Feldman, Bob
- 5.(Love Is Like A) Heat Wave - Martha; the Vandellas, Dozier, Lamont
- 6.The Please Mr. Postman - Martha; the Vandellas, Holland, Brian
- 7.One Who Really Loves You - Martha; the Vandellas, Robinson, Smokey
- 8.Don't Mess With Bill - Martha; the Vandellas, Robinson, Smokey
- 9.Beechwood 4 - 5789 - Martha; the Vandellas, Gaye, Marvin
- 10.Someday We'll Be Together - Martha; the Vandellas, Bristol, Johnny
Description by Sony Pictures Home Entertainment:
Academy Award® nominee Will Smith (Best Actor, The Pursuit of Happyness, 2006) stars in this action-packed comedy as Hancock, a sarcastic, hard-living and misunderstood superhero who has fallen out of favor with the public.
When Hancock grudgingly agrees to an extreme makeover from idealistic publicist Ray Embrey (Jason Bateman, Juno), his life and reputation rise from the ashes and all seems right again--until he meets a woman (2003 Academy Award® winner Charlize Theron, Best Actress, Monster) with similar powers to his and the key to his secret past.
Los Angeles, California |
Love Triangle |