- Rated: PG
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 58 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: April 25, 2000
- Originally Released: 1994
- Label: Sony Pictures
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Single Side - Dual Layer
- Collectors Edition
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 2.0 - English
- Dolby Digital 2.0 - Portuguese
- Dolby Digital 2.0 - Spanish
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Deleted Scenes with Director's Commentary
- Audio Commentary: Gillian Armstrong - Director
- Isolated Music Score
- Interactive Features:
- Interactive Menus
- Scene Access
- Interactive Trivia Games
- Text/Photo Galleries:
- Costume and Set Design Gallery with Audio Commentary - Colleen Atwood - Costume Designer
- Historical Timeline
Performers, Cast and Crew:
New York Times - 12/21/1994
"...Armstrong's enchantingly pretty film is so potent that it prompts a rush of recognition from the opening frame....[Ryder] plays Jo with spark and confidence..."
USA Today - 02/17/1995
"...Winona Ryder is a delightfully rompish Jo..." -- 4 out of 4 stars
Entertainment Weekly - 01/13/1995
"...[A] glowing new adaptation....Accessibly, appealingly contemporary..." -- Rating: A
Los Angeles Times - 12/21/1994
"...Beguiling....LITTLE WOMEN brings alive the past so vividly but perceives it through a contemporary sensibility so acute that you have the feeling that you're watching life unfolding before you..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 12/21/1994
"...[The actresses create] the warmth and familiarity of a real family..."
LITTLE WOMEN is based on Louisa May Alcott's classic 1869 novel about a family's struggles during the Civil War while the father, a Union army chaplain, is away. Together, the mother (Susan Sarandon) and her four daughters face hardships, love, and grief while helping each other realize their hopes and dreams. The fourth, latest cinematic version of the much-loved book follows the adventures and romances of Meg, Jo, Beth and Amy March as they grow up and become young women. Winona Ryder was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actress for her portrayal of Jo; other supporting players include Claire Danes, Kirsten Dunst, Christian Bale, and Gabriel Byrne.
Civil War |
Family Interaction |
Tear Jerker |
- Theatrical release: December 1994.
- The locations for LITTLE WOMEN included Craigdarroch Castle, Victoria, British Columbia; Cobble Hill, British Columbia; Deerfield, Massachusetts; and Orchard House, Concord, Massachussets.