Grand Funk Railroad Phoenix [Bonus Tracks]
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$8.34 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.64 (16% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: November 19, 2002
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Capitol
- 1.Flight Of The Phoenix
- 2.Trying To Get Away
- 4.She Got To Move Me
- 5.Rain Keeps Fallin'
- 6.I Just Gotta Know
- 7.So You Won't Have To Die
- 8.Freedom Is For Children
- 9.Gotta Find Me A Better Day
- 10.Rock 'N' Roll Soul
- 11.Flight Of The Phoenix (2002 Remix with Extended Ending)
Grand Funk Railroad: Mark Farner (vocals, guitar, harmonica, organ); Don Brewer (vocals, drums, congas, percussion); Mel Schacher (bass).
Additional personnel: Doug Kershaw (electric fiddle); Craig Frost (piano, Clavinet, harpsichord, organ).
Recorded at Sound Shop, Nashville, Tennessee. Originally released on Capitol (11099). Includes liner notes by Steve Roeser.
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
Personnel: Mark Farner (vocals, guitar, harmonica, organ); Don Brewer (vocals, drums, congas, percussion); Craig Frost (piano, harpsichord, Clavinet, organ).
Audio Mixer: Jimmy Hoyson.
Liner Note Author: Steve Roeser.
Recording information: Sound Shop, Nashville, TN (07/24/1972-07/28/1972).
Illustrator: Joe Garnett.
Photographer: Lorrie Sullivan.
Unknown Contributor Roles: Yasuhito Kitai; Kuni Takeuchi.
Having scored four consecutive Top Ten albums in the previous two years, Grand Funk Railroad may not have seemed to casual observers like a band who needed to rise phoenix-like from the ashes, but the title of the band's seventh album referred to its re-emergence after a litigious split from manager/producer Terry Knight. Now, they were producing themselves, and they added organist Craig Frost, credited here as a sideman, though he went on to join the band formally. The biggest change, however, was a musical maturity. After releasing five studio albums in a little over two years, Grand Funk waited more than a year before releasing Phoenix, and in that time they managed to come up with more variety than they had displayed before. "Someone," for example, was a surprisingly gentle ballad, and "Rain Keeps Fallin'" was stronger melodically than most of songwriter Mark Farner's previous efforts. Unlike earlier albums, Phoenix didn't seem like one rudimentary rocker after another, which made it Grand Funk's most listenable album so far. And that's not to say it didn't rock, as the leadoff instrumental, "Flight of the Phoenix," and the Top 40 hit that closed the set, "Rock 'n Roll Soul," demonstrated. Unfortunately, Farner's lyrical abilities had not increased, while his self-importance had. "I Just Gotta Know," "So You Won't Have to Die," and "Freedom Is for Children" all contained political exhortations expressed in simple-minded terms, the worst being "So You Won't Have to Die," in which Farner, later to become a Christian artist, claimed Jesus had spoken to him on the subject of overpopulation. After such cringe-inducing foolishness, the band's return to rocking with "Rock 'n Roll Soul" could only be welcomed. ~ William Ruhlmann
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 17 ratings.
Based on 17 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection: The Best... (CD)
$4.48 Super Savings
Top ranking titles in the Pop / Rock genre:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists KFRC 99.7FM - Motown, Soul & Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Yes Acoustic: Guaranteed No Hiss (DVD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Burl Ives The Best of Little Bitty Tear (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE