- Rated: G
- Run Time: 1 hours, 40 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: November 29, 2005
- Originally Released: 1996
- Label: Walt Disney Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Sight and Sound - 06/01/1996
"...A fairly sophisticated affair, allowing the vivid charm of the original to work on its own level as well as providing fodder for parody, slapstick and the vaudeville revue formula of the Muppets' television shows..."
USA Today - 02/16/1996
"...Kermit looks quite dashing in his captain's uniform, and Miss Piggy gives Dorothy Lamour a run for her sarong as a jungle goddess worshipped by wild boars..." -- 3 out of 4 stars
Entertainment Weekly - 03/22/1996
"...Curry makes a fine, flashy Long John Silver....A hoot..." -- Rating: B+
Variety - 02/19/1996
"...Pure delight, and constantly inventive and engaging..."
Los Angeles Times - 02/16/1996
"...A wonderful picture for children, a work of considerable artistry and craftsmanship that ought to please many adults as well..."
Kermit, Gonzo, Rizzo the Rat and Miss Piggy hit the high seas in this adaptation of Robert Louis Stevenson's classic adventure tale in which young Jim Hawkins tries to keep his coveted treasure map from the dastardly Long John Silver.
Those irrepressible Muppets return, this time in a rollicking, musical adaptation of Robert Louis Stevenson's classic "Treasure Island."
When Billy, a young orphan, comes to possess a secret treasure map, he sets sail with mild-mannered Capt. Smollet (Kermit-the-Frog) and a host of assorted Muppets and humans in search of the wealth. And, as always when the Muppets are involved, the adventure is filled with songs, wacky humor, and irreverent silliness. That is, until one of the crew members, Long John Silver, reveals his dark, dastardly side, immediately putting the shipmates -- and possession of the coveted map -- in danger. Will our heroes tarnish Silver's wicked plans' And if so, will they ever find the treasure' And how will the amphibious Capt. Smollet react when he's reunited with ex-flame Benjamina Gunn (Miss Piggy)'
Family (General) |
High Seas |
Kids Adventure |
- Released theatrically in the USA February 16, 1996. The film grossed $32.9 million domestically.
- Color by Technicolor.
- The film was shot on location in the Virgin Islands.
- Additional cast: Fozzie Bear (Squire Trelawney).
- Additional credit: Kevin Clash (puppeteer coordination).
- Director Brian Henson is the son of the late Jim Henson.
- New Muppets include: Polly the Lobster; Clueless Morgan; Mad Monty; and Old Tom, Real Old Tom and Dead Tom (Deck Hands).
- 400 Muppets in all appear in the film.
- Seven songs are included in the film.
- Original soundtrack album on Angel.
- Rated BBFC U by the British Board of Film Classification.
- Copyright 1996 Jim Henson Productions.