- Rated: PG-13
- Run Time: 2 hours, 23 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: May 9, 2006
- Originally Released: 2000
- Label: 20th Century Fox
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case - Sensormatic
- Single Side - Dual Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 1.85
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital 6.1 EX - English
- Dolby Surround - English, French
- DTS 6.1 ES - English
- Subtitles - English, Spanish - Optional
- Additional Release Material:
- Audio Commentary: Robert Zemeckis - Director, Don Burgess - Director of Photography, Ken Ralston - Visual Effects Supervisor, Carey Villegas - Co-Visual Effects Supervisor, Randy Thom - Sound Designer
- Interactive Features:
- Interactive Menus
- Scene Selection
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"I'll be right back."
- Chuck (Tom Hanks) to Kelly (Helen Hunt).
USA Today - 12/18/2000
"...A bravura solo spin....Thanks to Hanks' abilities, [a volleyball] actually seems to emote..." -- 3.5 out 4 stars
Entertainment Weekly - 01/12/2001
"...Hanks towers....[An] ambitious epic, an existential meditation..." -- Rating: A-
Sight and Sound - 02/01/2001
Total Film - 02/01/2001
"...A brave move for the helmer....[Hanks] conveys the isolation of his character with little dialogue and just a hint of madness..."
Box Office - 02/01/2001
"...Interwoven with timely observations about the centerless chaos of life in the modern world....Compelling..."
Hollywood Reporter - 12/08/2000
"...Zemeckis does an excellent job of finding visual means to express Chuck's isolation and thought process. Technically, the film is a marvel..."
Los Angeles Times - 12/22/2000
"...CAST AWAY's level of filmmaking is top of the line. Sweeping camera movements and masterful visuals are plentiful..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 02/04/2001
"...All the island scenes are superb..."
Stranded / Castaway |
- Theatrical release: December 22, 2000.
- One of the volleyballs used in the film sold at an online auction for $18,400.
- Stephen Holden of the New York Times, Richard Roeper (EBERT & ROEPER AND THE MOVIES), and the Austin Chronicle named CAST AWAY one of the 10 best films of 2000.
- The New York Film Critics Circle and the Online Film Critics Society named Tom Hanks Best Actor of 2000.
- Tom Hanks won the Golden Globe Award for Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture--Drama.
- The Broadcast Film Critics Association named Wilson the Volleyball Best Inanimate Object of 2000.
- Unlike most films, where budget restrictions require shooting the scenes out of order, CAST AWAY was shot in story order. It was also made over a 16-month period with a year-long hiatus in the middle--in which Hanks lost the 55 pounds and grew a beard to show the effects of his time on the island. During this hiatus director Zemeckis made WHAT LIES BENEATH with Harrison Ford and Michelle Pfeiffer.
- The film was shot in Moscow (where the production shut down Red Square for shooting), at Federal Express headquarters in Memphis, Tennessee, in Texas, in Los Angeles (at Sony Pictures Studios and FedEx), and on an uninhabited island in Fiji called Monu-riki.
- FedEx founder and owner Fred Smith makes a cameo appearance in the film, which was made with the full support of Federal Express.
- CAST AWAY was the highest grossing film released in the year 2000, making over $230 million.