Funky Stuff: The Best of Funk Essentials
by Various Artists
|You Save:||$2.01 (25% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: July 1, 1994
- Originally Released: 2006
- Label: UMVD Special Markets
Entertainment Weekly - 5/28/93, p.65"...serves as a solid introduction to anyone guilty, in George Clinton's phrase, of 'fakin' the funk'..." - Rating: B
- 1.ParliamentFlash Light
- 2.Kool And The GangFunky Stuff
- 3.CameoRigor Mortis
- 4.Bar-KaysToo Hot To Stop
- 5.Con Funk ShunChase Me
- 6.BohannonLet's Start The Dance
- 7.The Gap BandI Don't Believe You Wanna Get Up and Dance (Oops!)
- 8.ParliamentTear The Roof Off The Sucker (Give Up The Funk)
- 9.Kool And The GangJungle Jazz
- 10.Con Funk ShunFfun
- 11.Leon HaywoodI Want'a Do Something Freaky To You
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Producers include: George Clinton, Kool & The Gang, Larry Blackmon, Allen Jones, Con Funk Shun & Skip Scarborough.
Compilation producer: Harry Weinger.
Includes liner notes by Steven Ivory.
Personnel: Con Funk Shun, Hamilton Bohannon, Kool & the Gang, Leon Haywood, Parliament, Bar-Kays, The Gap Band, Cameo (vocals).
Liner Note Author: Steven Ivory.
Photographers: Cleveland "Clevie" Browne; Michael Ochs; Kool & the Gang; Tom Vickers.
Arrangers: Gene Page; Greg "Doc" Johnson; Hamilton Bohannon; Kool & the Gang; Leon Haywood; Cameo.
For those looking to find a crash course in "the funk" -- a quick introduction to the fusion of R&B, soul, jazz, blues, good old rock & roll, and all-out outrageousness that creates the ultimate good groove -- you can't do much better than the Funk Essentials compilations. Funky Stuff: The Best of Funk Essentials is the perfect portrait. With its contents drawn from the single-band Funk Essentials compilation albums, this clean, clear set provides incredible diversity while keeping the vibe connected. In other words, Funky Stuff is not only an introduction to the heaviest of hitters, but also a nifty, smooth ride for the already initiated. Opening with (of course!) Parliament's seminal 1978 number one "Flashlight," included in its nearly 11-minute 12" extended version, it's just a short hop to the bright brass of Kool & the Gang's whistle-punctuated "Funky Stuff." Both bands are reprised a little later with "Tear the Roof off the Sucker (Give up the Funk)" and "Jungle Jazz," respectively. Rounding out the contemporary flow are Cameo's old-school homage and first charting single, "Rigor Mortis," and Con Funk Shun's brass- and bass-infused "Ffun." And, while these songs are familiar -- and perfect for a compilation -- Funky Stuff keeps the toes up with the inclusion of a couple of nice touches, including Hamilton Bohannon's "Let's Start the Dance" and the edgy guitar and vocal jam of Leon Haywood's 1975 hit "I Want'a Do Something Freaky to You." The latter is especially welcome, as it's such a classic old-style groove that's often overlooked on contemporary collections. So, be you funk master looking for a jam-packed delight or a new schooler exploring the history, Funky Stuff becomes a valuable asset. ~ Amy Hanson
The Brothers Johnson20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection (CD)
$3.99 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Based on 5 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 12,572
- UPC: 731451482120
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
Somebody's Been Sleeping / 100 Proof Aged In Soul [Import] (CD)(2)
$11.12 Super Savings
20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection: Best of Atl (CD)(11)
$3.99 Super Savings
Top ranking titles in the R&B / Soul genre:
- The Isley Brothers Shout! (CD) ~ $5.98 on SALE
- Wilson Pickett I'm In Love (CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE
- Patti LaBelle Miss Soul (CD) ~ $3.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Storm Warning: Philly Original Soul Classics, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $13.95 on SALE
- Enchantment Golden Classics, Featuring "Gloria" (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Herd Very Best of I Can Fly (Featuring Peter Frampton) (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 3 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE