The Complete Recordings 1941-1947 (2-CD)
|You Save:||$0.50 (3% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: June 15, 1999
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: Sony
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Elmer's Tune
- 2.I See A Million People (But All I Can See Is You)
- 3.That's The Way It Goes
- 4.I Got It Bad (And That Ain't Good)
- 5.My Old Flame
- 6.How Deep Is The Ocean
- 7.Shady Lady Bird
- 8.Let's Do It (Let's Fall In Love)
- 9.Somebody Else Is Taking My Place
- 10.Somebody Nobody Loves
- 11.How Long Has This Been Going On?
- 12.That Did It, Marie
- 13.Winter Weather
- 14.Ev'rything I Love
- 15.Not Mine
- 16.Not A Care In The World
- 17.My Old Flame
- 18.How Deep Is The Ocean
- 19.Let's Do It (Let's Fall In Love)
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Blues In The Night
- 2.Where Or When
- 3.On The Sunny Side Of The Street
- 4.The Lamp Of Memory
- 5.If You Build A Better Mousetrap
- 6.When The Roses Bloom Again
- 7.My Little Cousin
- 8.The Way You Look Tonight
- 9.I Threw A Kiss In The Ocean
- 10.We'll Meet Again
- 11.Full Moon
- 12.There Won't Be A Shortage Of Love
- 13.You're Easy To Dance With
- 14.All I Need Is You
- 15.Why Don't You Do Right
- 16.Let's Say A Prayer
- 17.The Freedom Train
- 18.Keep Me In Mind
- 19.For Every Man There's A Woman
Personnel includes: Peggy Lee (vocals); Benny Goodman (clarinet); Mel Powell (arranger, piano); Eddie Sauter (arranger); Skippy Martin, Clint Neagley (alto saxophone); Vido Musso (tenor saxophone); Charles Gentry (baritone saxophone); Billy Butterfield, Cootie Williams, Jimmy Maxwell, Al Davis, Bernie Privin (trumpet); Lou McGarity, Cutty Cutshall (trombone); Red Norvo (vibraphone); Tom Morgan (guitar); John Simmons (bass); Sid Catlett, Alvin Stoller (drums); Johnny Mercer & The Pied Pipers; Paul Weston and his Orchestra.
Compilation producers: Didier C. Deutsch, Charles L. Granata, Darcy M. Proper.
Includes liner notes by Will Friedwald.
Digitally remastered by Darcy M. Proper (Sony Music Studios, New York, New York).
Personnel: Peggy Lee (vocals).
Recording information: 10/02/1941-12/02/1947.
These 38 tracks chronicle Peggy Lee's first recordings of her long and productive career, and chart her musical evolution, from rather timid, run-of-the-mill band singer to sophisticated and confident performer. Her first records, like "Elmer's Tune," reveal a pretty voice, but with little trace of the character and charisma that was to surface in later sessions.
These standard vocal refrains are buoyed by Benny Goodman's exciting aggregation and Mel Powell's ebullient arrangements. Rhythmically in sync with the powerful band, Lee finds her footing in songs like "That Did it, Marie." Increasingly relaxed, she handles the unrelenting tempos beautifully, and by "Sunny Side of the Street" and "Why Don't You Do Right," her blues-infused interpretations are pointing the way to a style that would later make her the queen of hip.
Memories Are Made Of This: 75 Evergreen Love Songs (3-CD)
$4.98 on SALE
Sold OutSave for Later
Jazz Classics Collection: Jazz and Big Band Classics (DVD)
Out of PrintSave for Later
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 21 ratings.
Based on 21 ratings.
Write an online review to share your thoughts with other customers.
What A Girl! Music Lover: Louis Toscano from HACKETTSTOWN, NJ US -- February, 4, 2015
The collection shows the gradual development of Peggy Lee from a big band replacement to an individual artist.
The Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection (CD)
$8.34 Super Savings
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists KFRC 99.7FM - Motown, Soul & Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE