- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 1 hours, 57 minutes
- Video: Color
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: September 30, 2008
- Originally Released: 1986
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Dolby Surround Stereo - English
- Stereo 2.0 - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Variety - 11/19/1986
"...Beautiful....[A] stunning performance by Harrison Ford and first-rate filmmaking by Peter Weir..."
Los Angeles Times - 11/26/1986
"...In addition to Ford's crafty, unsparing ferocity, all the actors in this maelstrom are admirable..."
Based on the novel by Paul Theroux, an inventor disillusioned by the growing bureaucracy of America uproots his family to build a utopia in the jungle of Central America. There he finds new threats to his freedom and peace of mind, with tragic results.
A brilliant and obsessive inventor, fed up with capitalistic and consumeristic modern society, picks up and moves his family to an isolated Caribbean island, where he puts his ideas into practice. Under his guidance, his new home at first becomes a paradise, but bit by bit, both his mind and his world begin to fall apart.
- Shot in Technicolor.
- Additional cast: The twins April and Clover are played by Hilary and Rebecca Gordon, Conrad Roberts (Mr. Haddy), Melanie Boland (Mrs. Spellgood), and Michael Rogers (Francis Lungley).
- Filmed on location in Belize.