Marty Robbins Gunfighter Ballads & Trail Songs
11 copies available
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$6.14 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.84 (32% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: October 19, 1999
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: Sony
Rolling Stone - 9/20/70, p.35"...Robbins has a beautiful voice and these are great songs...there simply aren't any rock singers capable of such precise melodic balladry as Marty Robbins..."
Q - 11/96, p.1623 Stars (out of 5) - "...He sang bloodsoaked ballads of the Wild West...with a manly sincerity that could make cattle obedient and hard-bitten outlaws take up Bible studies."
Dirty Linen - 2-3/00, pp.63,65"...may cause one to wax nostalgic and remember the national obsession with cowboys, outlaws, and western movies..."
Mojo (Publisher) - 3/00, p.118"...a concept album about the American West and contains Robbins' signature song 'El Paso'....a fine example of how Robbins' rural-Arizona upbringing gave his choice of career a deep authenticity....life-affirming stuff."
- $1.29 on iTunes1.Big Iron
- $0.99 on iTunes2.A Hundred and Sixty Acres
- $0.99 on iTunes3.They're Hanging Me Tonight
- $0.99 on iTunes4.Cool Water
- $0.99 on iTunes5.Billy The Kid
- $0.99 on iTunes6.Utah Carol
- $0.99 on iTunes7.The Strawberry Roan
- $0.99 on iTunes8.The Master's Call
- $0.99 on iTunes9.Running Gun
- $1.29 on iTunes10.El Paso
- $0.99 on iTunes11.In The Valley
- $0.99 on iTunes12.The Little Green Valley
- $0.99 on iTunes13.The Hanging Tree
- $0.99 on iTunes14.Saddle Tramp
- $1.29 on iTunes15.El Paso (Full - Length Version)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Marty Robbins (vocals, guitar); Thomas Grady Martin, Jack H. Prett
(guitar); Bob Moore (bass); Louis Dunn (drums); The Glaser Brothers (background vocals).
Producer: Don Law.
Reissue producer: Al Quaglieri.
Recorded at Bradley Film & Recording, Nashville, Tennessee on April 7, 1959.
Includes liner notes by Billy Altman.
Digitally remastered by Joseph M. Palmaccio (Sony Music Studios, New York, New York).
This is part of Legacy's American Milestones series.
Country singer Marty Robbins recorded many different kinds of music in his career, from rock & roll to Hawaiian love songs, but it's with this collection (particularly with the hit song "El Paso") that he is most remembered. This beautifully remastered 1960 album is a combination of traditional songs and Robbins' originals, all with themes of life in the Old West, or story-songs with a Western setting. This is not country music per se--there's no twang or pedal steel guitar to be heard--but clean-picked acoustic guitars (with elements of American and Mexican folk music throughout), soft drums, a chorus of close harmony, and the suave, mellow, distinctive voice of Marty Robbins. The songs are about work, love, travel, death, the beauty of the American West, and living life on your own terms--and paying the price for it. In some ways, Marty Robbins was the Nat "King" Cole of country music--that voice could take you out of your reality into another.
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)(5)
$19.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 121 ratings.
Based on 121 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Country & Bluegrass genre:
- Skeeter Davis Blueberry Hill / The End of The World (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Rodney Crowell But What Will The Neighbors Think / Rodney Crowell (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Chet Atkins Chet Atkins And His Guitar / The Guitar Genius (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Waylon Jennings The One And Only / Heartaches By The Numbers (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash The Singing Storyteller / The Rough Cut King of Country Music (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE