Marty Robbins Gunfighter Ballads & Trail Songs
16 copies available
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$6.30 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.68 (21% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: October 19, 1999
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: Sony
Rolling Stone - 9/20/70, p.35"...Robbins has a beautiful voice and these are great songs...there simply aren't any rock singers capable of such precise melodic balladry as Marty Robbins..."
Q - 11/96, p.1623 Stars (out of 5) - "...He sang bloodsoaked ballads of the Wild West...with a manly sincerity that could make cattle obedient and hard-bitten outlaws take up Bible studies."
Dirty Linen - 2-3/00, pp.63,65"...may cause one to wax nostalgic and remember the national obsession with cowboys, outlaws, and western movies..."
Mojo (Publisher) - 3/00, p.118"...a concept album about the American West and contains Robbins' signature song 'El Paso'....a fine example of how Robbins' rural-Arizona upbringing gave his choice of career a deep authenticity....life-affirming stuff."
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Marty Robbins (vocals, guitar); Thomas Grady Martin, Jack H. Prett
(guitar); Bob Moore (bass); Louis Dunn (drums); The Glaser Brothers (background vocals).
Producer: Don Law.
Reissue producer: Al Quaglieri.
Recorded at Bradley Film & Recording, Nashville, Tennessee on April 7, 1959.
Includes liner notes by Billy Altman.
Digitally remastered by Joseph M. Palmaccio (Sony Music Studios, New York, New York).
This is part of Legacy's American Milestones series.
Country singer Marty Robbins recorded many different kinds of music in his career, from rock & roll to Hawaiian love songs, but it's with this collection (particularly with the hit song "El Paso") that he is most remembered. This beautifully remastered 1960 album is a combination of traditional songs and Robbins' originals, all with themes of life in the Old West, or story-songs with a Western setting. This is not country music per se--there's no twang or pedal steel guitar to be heard--but clean-picked acoustic guitars (with elements of American and Mexican folk music throughout), soft drums, a chorus of close harmony, and the suave, mellow, distinctive voice of Marty Robbins. The songs are about work, love, travel, death, the beauty of the American West, and living life on your own terms--and paying the price for it. In some ways, Marty Robbins was the Nat "King" Cole of country music--that voice could take you out of your reality into another.
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)
$19.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 121 ratings.
Based on 121 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Lonesome and Blue: The Complete County Recordings (CD)
$15.08 Super Savings
I've Been Woking On The Guitar: The Legend Begins (CD)
$8.34 Super Savings
Country Music's Yodelling Cowboy Crooner, Volume 1 (CD)
$18.51 Super Savings
I Really Don't Want to Know: 26 Greatest Hits (CD)
$11.12 Super Savings
Top ranking titles in the Country & Bluegrass genre:
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Sings I Walk The Line / Sings Folsom Prison Blues (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Get Rhythm / Story Songs of Trains And Rivers (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Folsom Prison Blues / I Walk The Line (45) ~ $3
The Browns Complete As & Bs and More 1954 - 62 (CD) ~
$14.22 Super Savings
Top ranking CD:
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $9.98 on SALE