- Released: April 1, 2008
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Sbme Special Mkts.
- 1.Lonesome Old River Blues
- 2.Were You There When They Crucfied My Lord
- 3.Tennessee Waltz
- 4.Waiting For My Call To Glory
- 5.Mule Skinner Blues (Blue Yodel #8)
- 6.I Saw The Light
- 7.Fire Ball Mail
- 8.Night Train To Memphis
- 9.Great Speckle Bird
- 10.If I Could Hear My Mother Pray Again
- 11.Wreck On The Highway
- 12.Freight Train Blues
- 13.The Devil's Train
- 14.It Won't Be Long (Till I'll Be Leaving)
- 15.Wabash Cannon Ball
Includes liner notes by Tom Riley.
1970's GREATEST HITS is still probably the finest single disc introduction to the music of Roy Acuff. From the time of his earliest recordings in the late '30s to his death in 1992--a five-decade span matched by few others in country music--Roy Acuff was one of the genre's greatest players. His mournful voice, influenced heavily by the great Jimmie Rodgers, in turn influenced generations of country singers, from Hank Williams to Randy Travis. Collecting 15 of his best tracks, from his signature tune "Wabash Cannonball" to gospel standards like "Were You There When They Crucified My Lord," and genial versions of country chestnuts like "Tennessee Waltz," GREATEST HITS shows in thrilling detail why Roy Acuff was known as The King of Country Music.