John Coltrane Complete 1962 Birdland Broadcasts (Live)
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by John Coltrane ~ Afro Blue Impressions (Live) (2-CD) ~ $17.08
- by Miles Davis ~ Miles At The Fillmore, 1970: The Bootleg Series Volume 3 (4-CD) ~ $42.51
- by John Coltrane ~ Quartet - Comp. 1963 Copenhagen Concert ~ $17.56
- by John Coltrane ~ Sun Ship: The Complete Session (2-CD) ~ $26.98
- Released: September 7, 2009
- Label: Gambit Spain
- 1.Mr. PC
- 2.Miles' Mode [aka Red Planet]
- 3.My Favorite Things
- 4.Announcement - (previously unreleased)
- 5.Inchworm, The - (previously unreleased)
- 6.Mr. PC - (previously unreleased)
- 7.Announcement - (previously unreleased)
- 8.My Favorite Things - (previously unreleased)
Personnel: John Coltrane (soprano saxophone, tenor saxophone); McCoy Tyner (piano); Elvin Jones (drums).
Liner Note Author: Leo Greene.
Recording information: Birdland, NY (02/09/1926/02/16/1962).
Photographer: X .
While some of the 1962 gigs by John Coltrane's group from N.Y.C., Philly, and other locales have either been officially released or bootlegged, this is the first time we have the complete Birdland broadcasts collected on a single disc. The John Coltrane Quartet -- Coltrane, McCoy Tyner, Jimmy Garrison, and Elvin Jones with guest Eric Dolphy -- was broadcast twice that February on Symphony Sid's radio program. The first was on February 9 and the second a week later. The program on that fiery first night included three long selections: "Mr. PC," "Miles' Mode" (aka "Red Planet"), and a nearly 20-minute reading of "My Favorite Things." On the second night, "The Inchworm" is substituted for "Miles' Mode." The first broadcast is of much better quality, though both performances are simply stellar. The second performance feels like it was recorded not from the broadcast itself, but from an audience recorder close to the stage. The high point here is actually the interplay between Dolphy and Coltrane on "Mr. PC," because of its willingness to stretch both arrangement and solos to the breaking point and return to the hard bop domain. This one is mostly for collectors given the ragged sound quality of the second half of the disc, but that shouldn't deter hardcore fans at all. ~ Thom Jurek
John Coltrane - Coltrane: Classic Album Covers (With 20... (Book)
$3.98 on SALE
Out of StockSave for Later
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!