Johnny Cash At San Quentin
|You Save:||$0.79 (10% Off)|
Currently Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
- Released: July 4, 2000
- Originally Released: 2000
- Label: Sony
Entertainment Weekly - p.97"[Cash was] all but inciting riots with his rockers and incendiary remarks, then calming the captives with hymns." -- Grade: A
Q - p.1264 stars out of 5 -- "[A] gruff, no-frills performer with a voice like a bag of rusty nails scattering noisily over his career highlights."
CMJ - 6/19/00, p.32"...This beefed-up landmark release reissue contains nearly an album's worth of extra material..."
Dirty Linen - p.56"[I]t is certainly the stuff of legend, and this expanded edition brings the drama and excitement of that evening back to life."
- $0.99 on iTunes1.Big River
- $0.99 on iTunes2.I Still Miss Someone
- $0.99 on iTunes3.Wreck Of The Old 97
- $0.99 on iTunes4.I Walk The Line
- $0.99 on iTunes5.Darlin' Companion
- $0.99 on iTunes6.I Don't Know Where I'm Bound
- $0.99 on iTunes7.Starkville City Jail
- $0.99 on iTunes8.San Quentin
- $0.99 on iTunes9.San Quentin
- $0.99 on iTunes10.Wanted Man
- $0.99 on iTunes11.A Boy Named Sue
- $0.99 on iTunes12.(There'll Be) Peace In The Valley
- $1.29 on iTunes13.Folsom Prison Blues
- $1.29 on iTunes14.Ring Of Fire
- $0.99 on iTunes15.He Turned The Water Into Wine
- $0.99 on iTunes16.Daddy Sang Bass
- $0.99 on iTunes17.The Old Account Was Settled Long Ago
- 18.Closing Medley: Folsom Prison Blues / I Walk The Line / Ring Of Fire / The Rebel
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Johnny Cash (vocals, guitar); June Carter Cash, The Carter Family, The Statler Brothers (vocals); Luther Perkins, Bob Wootton, Carl Perkins (electric guitar); Marshall Grant (bass guitar); W.S. Holland (drums).
Audio Mixer: Vic Anesini.
Liner Note Authors: Johnny Cash; June Carter Cash; Marty Stuart.
Recording information: San Quentin (02/24/1969); San Quentin State Prison, CA, Unites States (02/24/1969).
Photographer: Jim Marshall .
One of country music's unequivocal stars, Johnny Cash retained respect for the travails of the audience elevating him to that position. Recorded live at one of America's most notorious prisons, this album displays an empathy bereft of condescension and captures a performer combining charisma with natural ease. The material is balanced between established favorites and new material including "Wanted Man" (an unrecorded Bob Dylan song), and the lighthearted hit "A Boy Named Sue." It was not the first time Cash had recorded in a penal institution, but this appearance, at a time when American values were vociferously questioned, suggested the artist's rebelliousness had not dimmed.
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)(5)
$19.98 on SALE
Sings I Walk The Line / Sings Folsom Prison Blues (CD)(8)
$2.98 on SALE
Get Rhythm / Story Songs of Trains And Rivers (CD)(10)
$5.98 on SALE
Sings The Greatest Hits / Sings The Blue Train (CD)(2)
$4.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Soul (CD)(2)
$2.98 on SALE