- Released: July 1, 1986
- Originally Released: 1986
- Label: Sony
- 1.Tomorrow You'll Be Gone (1951)
- 2.I'll Go On Alone (1952)
- 3.That's All Right (1954)
- 4.Knee Deep In The Blues (1956)
- 5.Singing The Blues (1956)
- 6.A White Sport Coat (1957)
- 7.The Story Of My Life (1957)
- 8.Don't Worry (1961)
- 9.Ruby Ann (1962)
- 10.Devil Woman (1962)
- 11.El Paso (1959)
- 12.Big Iron (1960)
- 13.The Hanging Tree (1959)
- 14.Ribbons Of Darkness (1965)
- 15.El Paso City (1976)
- 16.I Walk Alone (1968)
- 17.My Woman, My Woman, My Wife (1970)
- 18.Among My Souvenirs (1976)
- 19.Return To Me (1977)
- 20.Some Memories Just Won't Die (1982)
The last 5 songs are stereo. All others are mono.
Personnel: Marty Robbins (vocals, guitar).
Liner Note Authors: Hal Durham; Marizona Robbins; Johnny Cash; Art Satherley.
Editor: Sally Hinkle.
Photographer: Beverly Parker.
It's a mystery why Columbia has so many Robbins compilations in print, since they all cover roughly the same territory. Lifetime of Song (1951-1982) isn't as comprehensive as the Essential Marty Robbins: 1951-1982 box, nor as concise as The Story of My Life; what it is, rather, is a kind of a follow-up to 1972's All-Time Greatest Hits collection, featuring a number of classics ("A White Sport Coat," "Singing the Blues," "Among My Souvenirs") that were omitted from the earlier record. It duplicates many tracks from the aforementioned sets, but it's still great listening on its own, even if it isn't necessarily the place to start. ~ Jim Smith