The Stanley Brothers An Evening Long Ago: Live 1956
Only 6 copies left
|You Save:||$2.01 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 CDs for $49.90
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 23, 2004
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: Sbme Special Mkts.
Mojo (Publisher) - p.894 stars out of 5 - "A real find: 20 previously unreleased originals and standards the bluegrass legends performed early in their career..."
- 1.Handsome Molly
- 2.East Virginia Blues
- 3.The Story of The Lawson Family
- 4.Dream of A Miner's Child
- 5.Come All You Tenderhearted
- 6.Poor Ellen Smith
- 7.Darling Do You Know Who Loves You
- 8.Shout Little Lulie
- 9.Bound To Ride
- 10.Meet Me Tonight
- 11.My Long Skinny Lanky Sarah Jane
- 12.Little Bessie
- 13.Train 45
- 14.John Henry
- 15.Little Birdie
- 16.Drifting Too Far From The Shore
- 17.Orange Blossum Special
- 18.Nine Pound Hammer
- 19.Feast Here Tonight
- 20.Tragic Love
The Stanley Brothers: Carter Stanley (vocals, guitar); Ralph Stanley (vocals, banjo).
Recorded at WCYB Radio Studios, Bristol, Virginia on March 24, 1956. Includes liner notes by Larry Ehrlich.
Liner Note Author: Larry Ehrlich.
Recording information: Studios Of WCYB Radio, Bristol, VA (03/24/1956).
Photographers: Ray Flerlage; David Gahr.
Arranger: Carter Stanley.
Larry Ehrlich was at end of a long day in a studio in Bristol, VA. Carter and Ralph Stanley as well as Ralph Mayo and Curley Lambert entered the studio in front of one microphone, and Ehrlich, after seeing them play hog callings, a couple of radio shows, and a barn dance, asked the band to sing some of the traditional songs they had been recording for the past 16 years. The results, completely unearthed until now, are no less than stunning. This is the Stanleys as listeners have never heard them: laid-back, relaxed, and full of recollection and goodwill, singing and playing songs as familiar to them as their upbringing. These are country and bluegrass songs to be sure, but also some of the old folk ballads that had come out of the Southern mountains along with some Anglo and Celtic ballads from the days of yore. A number of these tracks represent the only available live versions of songs from their repertoire, and a few more are almost impossible to come by in any other way. At least one cut, "Drifiting Too Far from the Shore," was closely associated with Bill Monroe, and a pair are co-written originals, the harrowing murder ballad "The Tale of the Lawson Family" (once or twice covered by the Louvin Brothers) and the beautiful mountain love song "Meet Me Tonight." Ralph wrote a good many others here, or at the very least created original adaptations: "Come All You Tenderhearted," "East Virginia Blues," and "Bound to Ride" among them. But it is on the old songs that the Stanleys shine the brightest: "Poor Ellen Smith," "Dream of a Miner's Child," and their "John Henry" are deeply affecting. The fidelity is good throughout, but the feeling of the mix is what grabs the listener and won't let go. This is a welcome and necessary addition to the Stanley Brothers catalog. ~ Thom Jurek
The Stanley BrothersEarliest Recordings: Complete Rich-R-Tone 78s (1947-1952)...
$15.08 Super Savings
The Stanley BrothersEarliest Recordings: The Complete Rich-R-Tone 78s...
$8.98 on SALE
Red SmileyEssential Original Masters: The Best of Red Smiley
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Based on 5 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 12,087
- UPC: 886974902225
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Bargain Audio CDs & Priceless Collection Product Series:
- 311 Playlist: The Very Best of 311 (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 311 Playlist: The Very Best of 311 [Clean] (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 311 Soundsystem (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 311 Uplifter (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
International: Appalachian Music Categories:
- Riley Baugus Long Steel Rail (CD) ~ $16.18
- Dock Boggs His Folkways Years (1963-1968) (2-CD) ~ $22.48
- The Carter Family 1935-1941, Volume 2 (5-CD Box Set) ~ $26.08
The Carter Family Can the Circle Be Unbroken (2-CD) ~
$9.29 Super Savings
- The Carter Family Can the Circle Be Unbroken?: Country Music's First Family (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE