Bob Dylan Bootleg Series, Volume 6: Live 1964-The Philharmonic Hall Concert (2-CD)
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|You Save:||$1.29 (8% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: March 30, 2004
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: Sony
Rolling Stone - 4/15/04, p.1525 stars out of 5 - "[A] pivotal evening in his career....The times were a-changin', and you can hear Dylan coming and going, with one foot in each era, on LIVE 1964."
Entertainment Weekly - 4/2/04, p.66"It's shocking that this pristine tape--the young bard in full-on protest-song mode--was shelved." - Rating: A-
Uncut - 4/04, pp.90-15 stars out of 5 - "This is Dylan in headlong motion, snapped in a unique, brief and vital transitional moment in his development as his comet blazes across the firmament of popular culture."
Uncut - p.75Ranked #5 in Uncut's "Best New Albums of 2004" - "[A] joyous, highly entertaining acoustic performance..."
Mojo (Publisher) - 4/04, pp.116-184 stars out of 5 - "LIVE 1964 is Dylan on the cusp. It's the wave moving below the surface of the ocean, shifting our boats unexpectedly, gathering force before it finally breaks the plane of water and comes crashing down."
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.The Times They Are A-Changin'
- 2.6 (with God On Our Side (with Joan Baez)
- 3.Talkin' John Birch Paranoid Blues
- 4.To Ramona
- 5.Who Killed Davey Moore?
- 6.Gates Of Eden
- 7.If You Gotta Go, Go Now (Or Else You Got To Stay All Night)
- 8.It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)
- 9.I Don't Believe You
- 10.Mr. Tamborine Man
- 11.A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Includes a 52-page booklet.
Personnel: Bob Dylan (vocals, acoustic guitar); Joan Baez.
Recorded at Philharmonic Hall, New York, New York on October 31, 1964. Includes liner notes by Sean Wilentz.
Audio Mixer: Michael Brauer.
Liner Note Authors: Robert Shelton; Bob Dylan.
Recording information: Philharmonic Hall, New York, NY (10/31/1964).
Photographers: Hank Parker; Daniel Kramer ; Sandy Speiser; Barry Feinstein; Douglas R. Gilbert.
Arrangers: Joan Baez; Bob Dylan.
In 1964, when the Beatles where still singing "I Want to Hold Your Hand," Bob Dylan was quietly making history at New York's Philharmonic Hall (now Avery Fisher Hall). ANOTHER SIDE OF BOB DYLAN had recently been released, but even the flights of fancy on "Spanish Harlem Incident" and "To Ramona" (both performed here), while unprecedented, couldn't have prepared the audience for the Big Bang of songwriting represented by the still-unrecorded "Gates of Eden" and "It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)." In a voice full of youthful vitality and insouciance, Dylan delivered groundbreaking poetic epics to a crowd that must have been equally confounded and exhilarated.
Disc Two contains more of Dylan's older, more conventional material as well as four duets with Joan Baez, including the folk ballad "Silver Dagger," which Dylan would never record. As full of life as this second half of the Philharmonic concert is, it still serves as a breath-catching period in the wake of the world-changing new songs heard in the first set. Probably only a few of those in attendance realized it at the time, but music would never be the same again.
Bob DylanBootleg Series, Volume 1-3: Rare And Unreleased 1961-1991...
$44.74 Super Savings
Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid (Special Ed.) (2-DVD)
$13.82 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 67 ratings.
Based on 67 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Bootleg Series, Volume 11: The Basement Tapes Complete... (CD)
$130.49 Super Savings
Bootleg Series, Volume 10: Another Self Portrait... (CD)
$104.40 Super Savings
Bootleg Series, Volume 9: The Witmark Demos: 1962-1964... (CD)
$19.68 Super Savings
Top ranking titles in the Pop / Rock genre:
- Various Artists Get It On: The Seventies DVD Jukebox ~ $2.38 on SALE
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $9.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Jimmy McGriff Toast To Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Sings I Walk The Line / Sings Folsom Prison Blues (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 3 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE