Dave Brubeck The Essential Dave Brubeck (2-CD)
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$14.46 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.52 (15% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Dave Brubeck ~ A Dave Brubeck Christmas ~ $10.56
- by Dave Brubeck ~ Greatest Hits ~ $7.44
- by Miles Davis ~ Kind of Blue ~ $7.44
- by Dave Brubeck ~ Their Last Time Out: The Unreleased Live Concert - December 26, 1967 (2-CD) ~ $15.49
- by Dave Brubeck ~ Time Out ~ $6.14
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: March 25, 2003
- Originally Released: 2003
- Label: Sony
Uncut - 6/03, p.1374 stars out of 5 - "...The main interest for Brubeck fans will be engaging with the man's personal view of his music..."
Tracks on Disc 1:
- $0.99 on iTunes3.Take The 'A' Train
- $0.99 on iTunes4.Le Souk
- $0.99 on iTunes5.Audrey
- $0.99 on iTunes6.The Duke
- $0.99 on iTunes7.In Your Own Sweet Way
- $0.99 on iTunes8.Weep No More
- $0.99 on iTunes9.Some Day My Prince Will Come
- $0.99 on iTunes11.Brandenburg Gate
- $0.99 on iTunes12.Three To Get Ready
- $0.99 on iTunes13.Blue Rondo A La Turk
- $0.99 on iTunes14.There'll Be Some Changes Made
Tracks on Disc 2:
- $0.99 on iTunes1.Take Five
- $0.99 on iTunes2.Maria
- $0.99 on iTunes3.It's A Raggy Waltz
- $1.29 on iTunes4.Unsquare Dance
- $0.99 on iTunes5.Kathy's Waltz
- $0.99 on iTunes6.Travelin' Blues
- $0.99 on iTunes7.Summer Song
- $0.99 on iTunes8.That Old Black Magic
- $0.99 on iTunes9.Bossa Nova U.S.A.
- $0.99 on iTunes10.Autumn In Washington Square
- $0.99 on iTunes11.Theme From 'Mr. Broadway'
- $0.99 on iTunes12.La Paloma Azul
- $0.99 on iTunes13.Recuerdo
- 16.Brother, Can You Spare A Dime?
- 17.Love For Sale
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Dave Brubeck (leader, piano); Tony Bennett, Louis Armstrong, Carmen McRae, Jimmy Rushing; (vocals); Paul Desmond, Bobby Militello (alto saxophone); Jerry Bergonzi (tenor saxophone); Gerry Mulligan (baritone saxophone); Bill Smith (clarinet); Norman Bates, Eugene Wright, Ron Crotty, Bob Bates, Jack Six, Michael Moore (bass); Chris Brubeck (electric bass); Joe Morello, Carl Tjader, Lloyd Davis, Joe Dodge, Alan Dawson, Butch Miles, Randy Jones (drums).
Producers include: Dave Brubeck, Chris Brubeck, George Avakian, Teo Macero, Cal Lampley.
Compilation producers: Russell Gloyd, Didier C. Deutsch.
Recorded between 1949 & 2002. Includes liner notes by Joel Lewis.
Personnel: Dave Brubeck (piano); Jimmy Rushing, Louis Armstrong, Tony Bennett , Carmen McRae (vocals); Bill Smith (clarinet); Paul Desmond, Bobby Militello (alto saxophone); Jerry Bergonzi (tenor saxophone); Gerry Mulligan (baritone saxophone); Chris Brubeck (electric bass); Joe Dodge , Joe Morello, Alan Dawson , Randy Jones, Butch Miles, Lloyd Davis, Cal Tjader (drums).
Audio Mixers: Mark Wilder; Darcy Proper.
Liner Note Author: Joe "Cannonball" Lewis.
Recording information: Basin Street East, New York, NY (??/??/1949-07/10/2002); Basin Street, NY (??/??/1949-07/10/2002); CBS 30th Street Studios, New York, NY (??/??/1949-07/10/2002); Concord Jazz Festival, Concord, CA (??/??/1949-07/10/2002); Copenhagen, Denmark (??/??/1949-07/10/2002); Mexico City, Mexico (??/??/1949-07/10/2002); Oakland, CA (??/??/1949-07/10/2002); Oberlin College, Oberlin, OH (??/??/1949-07/10/2002); San Francisco, CA (??/??/1949-07/10/2002); University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI (??/??/1949-07/10/2002).
Photographer: Bob Willoughby.
Unknown Contributor Role: Hank Parker.
Arrangers: Dave Brubeck; Howard Brubeck; Russell Gloyd.
This double-disc overview collects 31 tracks selected by Dave Brubeck and provides an excellent overview of his long career. While the temptation would be to concentrate on the wildly successful run of albums his quartet -- with saxophonist Paul Desmond, bassist Eugene Wright, and drummer Joe Morello -- cut for the label between 1958 and 1967, this compilation actually contains cuts from 24 albums recorded between 1949 and 2002, and draws from numerous labels, settings, concerts, and studio sessions. Certainly most of the hits are here, including "Take Five" and "Blue Rondo … la Turk," but so are lesser-known favorites from the early years, including live versions of Duke Ellington tunes such as "Perdido" and "Take the 'A' Train." In addition, Brubeck has often chosen mono versions over later stereo ones and the set is all the better for it -- go no further than the spooky modal blues called "Audrey" on disc one for proof. Disc two provides much of the better-known material, including some excellent takes on show tunes such as the theme from Mr. Broadway and "Maria" from West Side Story. While it's true that Time Out provides an excellent introduction to the music of Brubeck's famed quartet all by itself, this collection is a compelling introduction for the beginner to get the vast range of Dave Brubeck's musical range and complexities as a composer, as well as his dynamite presence as a performer. ~ Thom Jurek
It Had To Be You: 24 Standards In Singer's Keys (CD)
$18.71 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 10 ratings.
Based on 10 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Super Sax: Art Pepper, Yusef Lateef & Pepper Adams (CD)(4)
99¢ on SALE
Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 3 - Disc 2 (CD)(3)
99¢ on SALE