- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: April 1, 2003
- Originally Released: 2003
- Label: Sony
Dirty Linen - 8/03, p.64
"...The double disc, 41-track offering lives up to its marquee billing as the collection to end all Willie collections..."
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Night Life
- 2.Hello Walls
- 4.Funny How Time Slips Away
- 5.I Never Cared for You
- 6.The Party's Over
- 7.Good Times
- 8.Me And Paul
- 9.Shotgun Willie
- 10.Bloody Mary Morning
- 11.Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain
- 12.Good Hearted Woman (with Waylon Jennings)
- 13.If You've Got the Money I've Got the Time
- 14.Uncloudy Day
- 15.Mammas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys (with Waylon Jennings)
- 16.Georgia on My Mind
- 17.Blue Skies
- 18.All of Me
- 19.Heartbreak Hotel (with Leon Russell)
- 20.Help Me Make It Through the Night
- 21.Whiskey River (live)
- 22.Stay a Little Longer (live)
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys
- 2.Faded Love (with Ray Price)
- 3.On the Road Again
- 4.Angel Flying Too Close to the Ground
- 5.Always on My Mind
- 6.Last Thing I Needed First Thing This Morning
- 7.Pancho & Lefty (with Merle Haggard)
- 8.To All the Girls I've Loved Before (with Julio Iglesias)
- 9.City of New Orleans
- 10.Seven Spanish Angels (with Ray Charles)
- 11.Forgiving You Was Easy
- 13.Living in the Promiseland
- 14.Nothing I Can Do About It Now
- 16.Everywhere I Go (with Emmylou Harris)
- 17.Slow Dancing (U2 featuring Willie Nelson, Mickey Raphael on harmonica)
- 18.Mendocino County Line (with Lee Ann Womack)
- 19.One Time Too Many (with Steven Tyler and Aerosmith) (previously unreleased)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
This CD commemorates Willie Nelson's 70th Birthday (April 30, 2003).
Personnel includes: Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Ray Charles, Johnny Cash, Kris Kristofferson, Emmylou Harris, Ray Price, Leann Womack, Julio Iglesias, Leon Russell, Merle Haggard, Aerosmith.
Producers include: Felton Jarvis, Arif Mardin, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Booker T. Jones.
Compilation producers: Nich Shaffman, Al Quaglieri.
Recorded between 1961 & 2002.
Audio Mixers: Michael Brauer; Steven Berkowitz.
Recording information: ??/1961-12/2001.
The catalog of Willie Nelson is so vast and rich that assembling an "essential" collection of only one or two discs seems nearly impossible. RCA's single-disc 1995 attempt was admirable and worthy, but doomed by space limitations. With a bit more room to move, Legacy's roomier two-disc collection is about close as anyone could hope to come. We get the full view of the great singer/songwriter's artistic journey.
"Hello Walls" and the evergreen "Crazy" hail from the days when Nelson was tooling around Nashville as a songwriter for hire but mystifyingly unable to connect as a solo artist. His transformation into a counterculture icon via the '70s "outlaw country" movement is marked by the likes of "Me and Paul" and "Bloody Mary Morning." His tremendous skill as in interpreter can be heard in such standards as "Blue Skies" and "Georgia on Mind," which helped make him a crossover success in the STARDUST era. Latter-day collaborations with everyone from Aerosmith ("One Time Too Many") to U2 ("Slow Dancing") show Willie's mercurial, eclectic nature. Add it all up and a portrait comes together of a man whose artistic vision has carried him across decades and stylistic shifts aplenty and seen him through in style.