Blind Willie Johnson The Complete Recordings of Blind Willie Johnson (2-CD)
Only 6 copies left
|You Save:||$1.29 (8% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: April 20, 1993
- Originally Released: 1993
- Label: Sony
Rolling Stone - 9/2/93, p.64"...adds no new discoveries to his discography, but it boasts clearer sound than the Yazoo reissues..."
Q - 9/93, p.964 Stars - Excellent - "...[THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS] are as crude as you'd expect...nonetheless, the intensity and strangeness of 'Dark Was The Night' suggests [Blind Willie Johnson] belongs among the heavy hitters..."
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.I Know His Blood Can Make Me Whole
- 2.Jesus Make Up My Dying Bed
- 3.It's Nobody's Fault But Mine
- 4.Mother's Children Have A Hard Time
- 5.Dark Was The Night, Cold Was The Ground
- 6.If I Had My Way I'd Tear The Building Down
- 7.I'm Gonna Run To The City Of Refuge
- 8.Jesus Is Coming Soon
- 9.Lord I Just Can't Keep From Crying
- 10.Keep Your Lamp Trimmed And Burning
- 11.Let Your Light Shine On Me
- 12.God Don't Never Change
- 13.Bye Bye I'm Going To See The King
- 14.Sweeter As The Years Roll By
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.You'll Need Somebody On Your Bond
- 2.When The War Was On
- 3.Praise God I'm Satisfied
- 4.Take Your Burden To The Lord And Leave It There
- 5.Take Your Stand
- 6.God Moves On The Water
- 7.Can't Nobody Hide From God
- 8.If It Had Not Been For Jesus
- 9.Go To Me With That Land
- 10.The Rain Don't Fall On Me
- 11.Trouble Will Soon Be Over
- 12.The Soul Of A Man
- 13.Everybody Ought To Treat A Stranger Right
- 14.Church, I'm Fully Saved Today
- 15.John The Revelator
- 16.You're Gonna Need Somebody On Your Bond
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel includes: Blind Willie Johnson (slide guitar, vocals).
Reissue producers: Lawrence Cohn, Gary Pacheco.
Recorded between 1927 and 1930. Includes liner notes by Samuel Charters.
Digitally remastered by David Mitson (Sony Music Studios, Los Angeles, California).
This is part of Columbia/Legacy's Roots N' Blues series.
A bottleneck guitarist of consummate skill, Blind Willie Johnson was a traveling evangelist who preached the gospel by playing and singing such message-heavy tunes as "I Know His Blood Can Make Me Whole," and "If It Had Not Been for Jesus." But there is not a whit of squeaky-clean, Sunday-morning sweetness to Johnson's music. Overwhelmingly intense, Johnson's performances are all open wounds and raw nerves. THE COMPLETE collects everything the artist ever recorded, and makes a case for Johnson as one of the most passionate, affecting bluesmen of all time.
It is Johnson's singing that truly startles. A gruff yet finely nuanced bass, Johnson sings with a voice that could grind glass, wrenching out spiritually committed messages in a manner both primal and sublime. Johnson also displays great variety, be it the stark, understated intensity of "Dark Was the Night - Cold Was the Ground" (where he wordlessly vocalizes in a hush over ghostly riffs) or the full-tilt prophetic perfection of "John the Revelator" (a duet with Willie Harris). THE COMPLETE BLIND WILLIE JOHNSON is an utterly essential set of the most hair-raising gospel blues ever put to tape. Be prepared.
J.B. LenoirAlabama Blues: Rare and Intimate Recordings from the...
Bob Dylan's Theme Time Radio Hour: Best Of The First Series... (CD)
Rhythm 'N' Blues: Boogie Woogie Goodies (4-CD) [Import]
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 46 ratings.
Based on 46 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
The Best of Bobby Bland - 20th Century Masters / Millennium... (CD)
$8.84 Super Savings
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists KFRC 99.7FM - Motown, Soul & Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Summer Hits: 47-Song Collection (3-CD) ~ $8.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE