- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: June 30, 1992
- Originally Released: 1992
- Label: Sony
Living Blues - Sept.-Oct./92, p.76
"...represents the finest of House's rediscovery recordings...intriguing works by a master...Essential recordings by one of the greatest bluesmen ever..."
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Death Letter
- 3.Louise McGhee
- 4.John The Revelator
- 5.Empire State Express
- 6.Preachin' Blues
- 7.Grinnin' In Your Face
- 9.Levee Camp Moan
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Death Letter (Previously Unreleased Alternate Take)
- 2.Levee Camp Moan (Previously Unreleased Alternate Take)
- 3.Grinnin' In Your Face (Previously Unreleased Alternate Take)
- 4.John The Revelator (Previously Unreleased Alternate Take)
- 5.Preachin' Blues (Previously Unreleased Alternate Take)
- 6.President Kennedy (Previously Unreleased)
- 7.A Down The Staff (Previously Unreleased)
- 8.Motherless Children (Previously Unreleased)
- 9.Yonder Comes My Mother (Previously Unreleased)
- 10.Shake It And Break It (Previously Unreleased)
- 11.Pony Blues (Previously Unreleased)
- 12.Downhearted Blues (Previously Unreleased)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Contains 9 tracks previously released on Columbia as THE LEGENDARY SON HOUSE: FATHER OF FOLK BLUES and 12 previously unreleased and/or alternate takes from the same session. The set also includes liner notes in which Son House relates a story about Robert Johnson.
By the time his name was spreading through the collegiate blues circles of the early '60s, Eddie James "Son" House, Jr. had been retired for nearly 20 years. Son House was already legendary for a small collection of live field recordings made by folklorist Alan Lomax in 1941 and 1942-and for having taught some important licks to both Robert Johnson and Muddy Waters. Tracked down by his new fans in 1964, Son House regained his chops and went out on the college blues circuit for several years, showing worshipful youngsters just why he deserved the title "Father of the Delta Blues."
In 1965, Son House recorded the 21 tracks featured on FATHER OF THE DELTA BLUES for Columbia Records. Whereas the nine songs on disc one were released that year as THE LEGENDARY SON HOUSE, the 12 alternate takes and previously unissued songs on disc two, including an elegy called "President Kennedy," remained unheard until this 1992 release.