Red Nichols Red Nichols and His Five Pennies, 1926-1930
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$3.87 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.08 (22% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: November 7, 2003
- Originally Released: 2011
- Label: Fabulous
- 1.Buddy's Habits
- 2.Boneyard Shift
- 3.Bugle Call Rag
- 4.After You've Gone
- 5.Farewell Blues
- 6.Davenport Blues
- 7.Wabash Blues
- 9.My Gal Sal
- 11.Feelin' No Pain
- 12.Five Pennies
- 13.Sugar Foot Strut
- 14.Feelin' No Pain
- 16.Japanese Sandman
- 17.Nobody's Sweetheart
- 18.Mississippi Mud
- 19.There'll Come a Time
- 20.(Back Home Again In) Indiana
- 21.Rose of Washington Square
- 22.I'm Just Wild About Harry
- 23.China Boy
- 24.The Sheik of Araby
- 25.I Got Rhythm
Personnel includes: Red Nichols (trumpet); Jimmy Dorsey (alto saxophone, clarinet); Miff Mole, Jack Teagarden, Glenn Miller (trombone); Benny Goodman,
Pee Wee Russell (clarinet); Eddie Lang (guitar); Gene Krupa (drums).
Recorded between 1926 & 1930.
Personnel: Red Nichols (trumpet); Treg Brown (vocals, banjo); Jack Teagarden (vocals, trombone); Dick Robertson (vocals); Dick McDonough (guitar, banjo); Eddie Lang, Weston Vaughan, Carl Kress (guitar); Tommy Fellini (banjo); Wladimir Selinsky, Murray Kellner, Edward Bergman, Joe Venuti (violin); Lennie Hayton (cello, piano); Larry Binyon (flute, tenor saxophone); Jimmy Dorsey, Benny Goodman (clarinet, alto saxophone); Fud Livingston (clarinet, tenor saxophone); Pee Wee Russell (clarinet); Sid Stoneburn (alto saxophone); Babe Russin, Bud Freeman (tenor saxophone); Adrian Rollini (baritone saxophone); Joe Tarto (bass saxophone, tuba); Art Miller, Jack Hansen (bass saxophone); Manny Klein, Tommy Thunen, Ruby Weinstein, Leo McOnville, Charlie Teagarden (trumpet); Glenn Miller, Bill Trone, Herb Taylor, Miff Mole (trombone); Jack Russin, Joe Sullivan , Arthur Schutt (piano); Dave Tough, Gene Krupa, Vic Berton (drums).
Recording information: New York, NY (12/20/1926-10/23/1930).
Arrangers: Fud Livingston; Glenn Miller.
Here's a well-put-together sampler of hot jazz records made by Red Nichols & His Five Pennies between December 1926 and October 1930. Note the presence of reedman Jimmy Dorsey alongside trombone ace Miff Mole, premiere pianist Arthur Schutt; string players Joe Venuti, Eddie Lang, and Dick McDonough, and tuba titan Joe Tarto. Further woodwind support materializes in the persons of Pee Wee Russell, Fud Livingston, Adrian Rollini, and Bud Freeman. As the chronology reaches 1929 and 1930, the Five Pennies magically grow larger -- as many as 13 pieces -- and promising young men like Jack Teagarden, Glenn Miller, and Benny Goodman began to strut their stuff. This excellent overview includes a couple of vocals; "Sheik of Araby" gets the spicy treatment from Jack Teagarden, and Dick Robertson does a number on "I Got Rhythm." But most of these tunes cook in ways that render lyrics entirely unnecessary. ~ arwulf arwulf
Boardwalk Empire, Volume 1 (Music from the HBO Original...
$16.59 Super Savings
Boardwalk Empire, Volume 2 (Music from the HBO Original...
$12.49 Super Savings
Warner Bros. Big Band, Jazz & Swing Short Subject... (DVD-R)(4)
$38.38 on SALE
The Complete Brunswick Sessions, Volume 7 to 9 - 1927-1932... (CD)
$37.04 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
The 1950s British Hit Parades: The Hits We Missed (Live) (CD)
$13.27 Super Savings
1957 British Hit Parade: The B Sides Part 1 (4-CD)
$20.91 Super Savings
1957 British Hit Parade: The B Sides Part 2 (4-CD)
$20.91 Super Savings
Top ranking titles in the Jazz genre:
- King Curtis Enjoy Records - The Best of King Curtis (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Joe Williams Me And The Blues / The Song Is You (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Billie Holiday Fine And Mellow - Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Curtis Fuller Boss of The Soul-Stream Trombone (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Ornette Coleman Ornette On Tenor (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 3 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Herd Very Best of I Can Fly (Featuring Peter Frampton) (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE