The Byrds Dr. Byrds & Mr. Hyde
LOW STOCK: Only 3 copies left
|You Save:||$2.01 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 CDs for $49.90
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 1, 2008
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Sbme Special Mkts.
Entertainment Weekly - 4/4/97, pp.81-82"...[an improvement over the previous] murky, bad-acid trip mix..." - Rating: B
- 1.This Wheel's On Fire
- 2.Old Blue
- 3.Your Gentle Way Of Loving Me
- 4.Child Of The Universe
- 5.Nashville West
- 6.Drug Store Truck Drivin' Man
- 7.King Apathy III
- 9.Bad Night At The Whiskey
- 10.Medley: My Black Pages / B.J. Blues / Baby What You Want Me To Do
- 11.Stanley's Song
- 12.Lay Lady Lay
- 13.This Wheel's On Fire (Version 1)
- 14.Medley: My Black Pages / B.J. Blues / Baby What You Want Me To Do (Alternate Version - Take 1)
- 15.Nashville West (Alternative Version - Nashville Recording)
This is a remastered version of DR. BYRDS & MR. HYDE featuring five extra tracks. The additional tracks include "Stanley's Song," "Lay Lady Lay" and alternate versions of "This Wheel's On Fire," "Nashville West" and "My Back Pages/B.J. Blues/Baby What You Want Me To Do."
The Byrds: Roger McGuinn, Gene Parsons, Clarence White, John York.
Reissue producer: Bob Irwin.
Engineers: David Diller, Tom May, Neil Wilburn.
Includes liner notes by David Fricke and Johnny Rogan.
Possibly the most downcast of the Byrds' albums, DR. BYRDS reflects the mutation of the hippie dream that was taking place in 1968. The brutal slab of electric folk-rock that is Dylan/Rick Danko's "This Wheel's on Fire" opens things up, mirroring the sociopolitical upheavals of the time. On this and other tunes, guitarist Clarence White trades his sweet country licks in for some burning, semi-psychedelic licks. Though the pastoral side of the band is represented by gently jangling versions of "Old Blue" and "Your Gentle Way of Loving Me," the setting soon returns to disillusion and unrest. "King Apathy III," (which, along with "Candy," boasts some progressive time changes) is full of contempt and sadness for those deluded by the Age of Aquarius. The countrified "Drug Store Truck Drivin' Man" pounds a nail into the coffin of right wing hypocrisy. After all is said and done, the Byrds get back to the business of being a great bunch of musicians, amiably rocking their way through a medley that pairs a revamped "My Back Pages" with Jimmy Reed's blues classic "Baby What You Want Me to Do."
20 Essential Tracks from the Boxed Set: 1965-1990 (CD)(23)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 14 ratings.
Based on 14 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 9,974
- UPC: 886972464824
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
Bargain Audio CDs & Priceless Collection Product Series:
- 311 Music (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 311 Playlist: The Very Best of 311 (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 311 Playlist: The Very Best of 311 [Clean] (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 311 Soundsystem (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 311 Uplifter (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE