Terror Is a Man
Alpha New Cinema (series)
|You Save:||$2.03 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 Alpha DVDs for $39.90
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 31 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: September 25, 2012
- Originally Released: 1959
- Label: Alpha Video
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Francis Lederer, Greta Thyssen & Richard Derr|
|Performer:||Greta Thyssen & Richard Derr|
|Directed by||Gerardo De Leon & Gary De Leon|
Description by OLDIES.com:
A precursor to the Philippine invasion of B-horror, Terror Is A Man is a well-mounted production featuring Francis Lederer as the mad doctor and a ravishing young Greta Thyssen as his wife. Respected actor Francis Lederer, whose career reached from Europe to Broadway to Hollywood, starred in The Return of Dracula (1958) the year before this role as the insane Dr. Gerard, which would be his last film appearance. Thyssen played the blonde bombshell in numerous Three Stooges comedies, but is best remembered for her role in Journey to the Seventh Planet (1962). Co-star Richard Derr is most noted for his role in the 1951 sci-fi thriller When Worlds Collide.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 10 ratings.
There have been a few adaptations over the years of H.G. Wells’ “The Island of Dr. Moreau.” Gerado de Leon’s TERROR IS A MAN may very well be my favorite. Slow at times, but overall quite entertaining and a pleasant surprise.
William Fitzgerald (Richard Derr) washes up shore after his ship crashes. As far as he knows, he’s the only survivor. Fitzgerald is found by Dr. Charles Girard (Francis Lederer) who takes Fitzgerald back to his home and takes care of him. When Fitzgerald awakens, Girard explains to him what happened and where he is, but doesn’t give much detail as to what’s going on at the island.
Once Fitzgerald is feeling well enough he gets out of bed and begins to explore the island. He meets both Tiago, a young boy that works for the Doctor and Frances (Greta Thyssen), the Doctor’s wife. After speaking with both Tiago and Frances, Fitzgerald as a feeling that something with the island is not quite right. After further search of the island, Fitzgerald comes across Girard and his assistant Walter out hunting.
Girard explains that he is hunting for a panther that escaped from him. He goes on to talk about the panther being part of his research and the reason for being on the island. Still Girard only hints at things and doesn’t go into full detail as to what research he is doing and why a panther is needed for it.
Eventually Girard recaptures the panther and brings him back home. With the creature back in his grasp, Girard is free to continue his experiments and research. He takes the animal down to his laboratory to get stared. A curious Fitzgerald sneaks now after to catch a glimpse and is shocked by what he finds.
If you’re familiar with the source material from Wells, you know this story. Girard is attempting to change animals into humans. In this case it’s a panther who is now humanlike. We can’t quite call this creation human, but he certainly has human qualities.
Girard is a classic mad scientist. In his mind he absolutely has the best intentions. He believes all creatures must evolve to stay alive and he’s just trying to speed up the process. Like is often the case, no matter how good natured, the result of playing god doesn’t end well.
The thing Girard has created knows not how to react. All it knows it suffering and pain. It doesn’t understand what it is and why should it? No one knows what it is. It just wants to break free, to fight back.
Read the rest at FearTheCrypt.com
- Sales Rank: 870
- UPC: 089218107299
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- 26 Men - Volumes 1-3 (3-DVD) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- $50,000 Reward (Silent) (with Bonus Short, "Then Came The Yawn") (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 70s Grindhouse Black Exploitation: TNT Jackson (1979) / The Black Godfather (1974) / Black Cobra (1981) / Black Cobra 2 (1990) / Black Cobra 3: The Manila Connection (1990) / The Black Gestapo (1975) / The Black Six (1974) (3-DVD) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- Abilene Town (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Abraham Lincoln (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
Alpha Video Labels:
- Aces and Eights (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces Wild / Wild Mustang (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Art Acord Double Feature: Fighters of the Saddle (Silent) / Pursued (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Across the Plains (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Across the World (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
© 2016 OLDIES.com and its affiliates and partner companies. All rights reserved.