- Number of Discs: 6
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 10 hours, 19 minutes
- Video: Color
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: August 15, 2006
- Originally Released: 2006
- Label: HBO Home Video
- 6-Disc Set
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Dolby Surround 5.1 - English
- Dolby Surround Stereo 2.0 - English, French, Spanish
- Additional Release Material:
- Behind the Scenes
- Featurette: "The Rise of Rome"
- Interactive Features:
- All Roads Lead to Rome interactive onscreen guide prepared by the series' historical consultant, Jonathan Stamp
- Text/Photo Galleries:
- Photo Galleries
- Friends, Romans, Countrymen - Introduction to the characters of Rome
- Shot x Shot: Caesar's Triump - Detailing the production of the epic Episode 10 triumph scene
- Shot x Shot: Gladiator - A closer look at the thrilling Episode 11 fight sequence
Performers, Cast and Crew:
A generously budgeted show jointly produced by HBO and the BBC, ROME takes viewers back to 52 BC for a chance to relive the reign of Julius Caesar. The first season revolves around the lives of two Roman soldiers, Lucius Vorenus (Kevin McKidd) and Titus Pullo (Ray Stevenson), who win favor with Caesar (Ciaran Hinds) by defeating a mutinous plot from the devious Pompey Magnus (Kenneth Cranham). This affords the two men a gateway into the lives of Rome's ruling classes, and so the season unfolds, with intricately woven plots, fine acting, and stunning recreations of the ancient city, to provide a thoroughly engrossing television show. Details have been painstakingly pored over to ensure accuracy, so both history buffs and viewers less versed in the ways of Caesar should find something to enjoy here. This release contains the entire first season of the show.
- 1.12 episodes on six discs
- 2.Commentary by Bruno Heller and Jonathan Stamp on The Stolen Eagle, How Titus Pullo Brought Down the Republic, Pharsalus, and Kalends of February
- 3.Commentary by Steve Shill on Caesarion
- 4.Commentary by Jeremy Podeswa on Utica
- 5.Commentary by Ray Stevenson on The Ram Has Touched the Wall
- 6.Commentary by Kevin McKidd on The Spoils
- 7.Friends, Romans, Countrymen: Introduction to the characters of Rome.
- 8.All Roads Lead to Rome: interactive onscreen guide prepared by the series' historical consultant, Jonathan Stamp
- 9.Shot x Shot: Caesar's Triumph - detailing the production of the epic Episode 10 triumph scene
- 10.Shot x Shot: Gladiator - A closer look at the thrilling Episode 11 fight sequence
- 11.The Rise of Rome - Behind - the - scenes featurette on sets, wardrobe, and actors' boot camp
- 12.When in Rome: featurette on the culture of ancient Rome
- 13.Photo gallery with over 50 never - before - seen images.
- 14.Eight - page Roman Character Guide booklet featuring names, profiles, relationships, and other key historical information
Description by Warner Home Video:
Rome: The Complete First Season
(HBO Dramatic Series) Four hundred years after the founding of the Republic, Rome is the wealthiest city in the world, a cosmopolitan metropolis of one million people; epicenter of a sprawling empire. The Republic was founded on principles of shared power and fierce personal competition, never allowing one man to seize absolute control. But now, those foundations are crumbling, eaten away by corruption and excess.
After eight years of war, two soldiers, Lucius Vorenus and Titus Pullo unwittingly become entwined in the historical events of ancient Rome. A serialized drama of love and betrayal, masters and slaves, husbands and wives, ROME chronicles a turbulent era that saw the death of the republic and the birth of an empire.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 386 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to
write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 103,006
- UPC: 026359284823
- Shipping Weight: 0.86/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 6 items