Joe South Classic Masters
|You Save:||$2.01 (25% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Joe South ~ Anthology: A Mirror of His Mind - Hits and Highlights 1968-1975 ~ $20.68
- by Tony Joe White ~ The Best of Tony Joe White ~ $11.32
- by Jackie DeShannon ~ Classic Masters (Remastered) ~ $5.35
- by Brian Hyland ~ Greatest Hits ~ $9.89
- by Tommy Roe ~ Greatest Hits [MCA] ~ $9.72
- Released: August 26, 2008
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
Singer songwriter Joe South was responsible for a host of best selling country-rock hits in the late 60's and early 70's. Showcased here are his best performances from that era including his 1969 song of the year "Games People Play" and the hits "Walk A Mile In My Shoes". Also included are Joe South hit compositions "Down In The Boondocks" and "Hush".
- 1.Walk A Mile In My Shoes
- 2.Games People Play
- 3.Rose Garden
- 5.Don't It Make You Want To Go Home
- 6.These Are Not My People
- 7.I Knew You When
- 9.Untie Me
- 10.Fool Me
- 11.Down In The Boondocks
- 12.Birds Of A Feather
Recorded between 1967 & 1975. Includes liner notes by Bill DeYoung.
Digitally remastered using 24-bit technology by Mark Chalecki (Capitol Mastering).
This is part of Capitol's Classic Masters series.
Audio Remasterer: Mark Chalecki.
Liner Note Author: Bill DeYoung.
Photographer: Harry Goodwin.
For the brief period of 1969-1971, as both songwriter and singer, Joe South had the market cornered on a distinctive brand of country-soul exemplified by his signature hit, "Games People Play." He had been kicking around the music business for more than a decade by then, having scored minor hits with the Big Bopper's "The Purple People Eater Meets the Witch Doctor" in 1958 and "You're the Reason" in 1961, written the Tams' 1962 Top 20 R&B hit "Untie Me," and worked as a Nashville session musician. Between 1965 and 1967, he wrote and produced five pop chart records for Billy Joe Royal, including "Down in the Boondocks," "I Knew You When," and "Hush." Deep Purple remade "Hush" for a Top Five hit in 1968. By then, South had secured a recording contract with Capitol, and beginning with "Games People Play" he scored six chart entries through 1971, among them "Walk a Mile in My Shoes," which Elvis Presley performed, and "Birds of a Feather," which the Raiders remade for a Top 40 hit. Meanwhile, Lynn Anderson turned South's "Rose Garden" into a gold-selling Top Five pop hit and country chart-topper. Then, following his brother's suicide, he gave it all up and lived on his royalties. (An attempted comeback a few years later failed.) This midline-priced best-of includes all of his Capitol hits as well as versions of many of his compositions that were hits for others. His work remains impressive; the songs themselves have simple, compelling melodies and lyrics and he sings them with conviction. The quality belies the small size of his catalog. ~ William Ruhlmann
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 20 ratings.
Based on 20 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 10,078
- UPC: 090431106723
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Rock & Pop Music Categories:
!!! As If (CD) ~
$13.81 Super Savings
- !!! As If (2LPs) ~ $21.95
- ? and The Mysterians Are You For Real (CD) ~ $11.68
10,000 Maniacs Campfire Songs: The Popular, Obscure & Unknown Recordings (2-CD) ~
$19.60 Super Savings
10,000 Maniacs In the City of Angels (Live) (CD) ~
$12.54 Super Savings
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- The Aces Combo Introducing The Aces Combo (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE