- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: R
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 2 hours, 24 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: May 4, 2004
- Originally Released: 2003
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - French
- Dolby Surround 2.0 - English
- Stereo - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Documentary: "History vs. Hollywood: THE LAST SAMURAI"
- Interviews: "Making an Epic: A Conversation with Edward Zwick"
- Deleted Scenes: "The Beheading" (Behind the Beheading); Algren and Katsumoto
- Audio Commentary: Edward Zwick - Director
- "Tom Cruise: A Warrior's Journey"
- "Edward Zwick: Director's Video Journal"
- "A World of Design: Production Design with Lilly Kilvert"
- "Silk and Armour: Costume Design with Ngila Dickson"
- "Imperial Army Basic Training: From Soldier to Samurai - The Weapons"
- "Tokyo and Kyoto Red Carpet Premieres"
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Hiroyuki Sanada &
Steven Rosenblum &
Edward Zwick &
Tom Engelman &
Director of Photography:
Executive Production by
Vincent Ward &
Entertainment Weekly - 12/05/2003
"...[A] rousing, smoothly assembled historical fantasia....A handsome epic..."
Rolling Stone - 12/25/2003
"...Cruise plays the role with fierce energy and swings a Bushido blade like a pro..."
Sight and Sound - 02/01/2004
"[With] some of the most impressively realised battles this side of Middle Earth."
New York Times - 12/05/2003
"Mr. Zwick has absorbed the lethal agility of Akira Kurosawa; what registers just as powerfully as the sureness of the combatants is the ugly futility of the battles themselves."
Los Angeles Times - 12/05/2003
"THE LAST SAMURAI affords the sort of fizzy enjoyment that can come with epic movie endeavors, including a meticulously detailed world unlike our own, an excellent supporting cast and some pulse-pounding fights."
Chicago Sun-Times - 12/05/2003
"Beautifully designed, intelligently written, acted with conviction, it's an uncommonly thoughtful epic."
Widescreen Review - 06/01/2006
"THE LAST SAMURAI is another stirring Civil War-era epic directed by Edward Zwick."
Ancient Civilizations |
Civil War |
Period Piece |
Theatrical Release |
- Theatrical Release Date: December 5, 2003