- Number of Discs: 3
- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 4 hours, 59 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: March 16, 2004
- Originally Released: 1973
- Label: Criterion
- 3-Disc Set
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Dual Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Additional Release Material:
- 163-Minute Theatrical Version
- 299-Minute Television Version
- Comparison Between the TV and Theatrical Versions By Film Scholar Peter Cowie
- Live Ullmann - Star
- Erland Josephson - Star
- Ingmar Bergman - Writer/Director
- Essay By Author Phillip Lopate
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Sight and Sound - 12/01/1974
"...A simplicity of vision..."
USA Today - 04/05/1996
"...It's one of Bergman's most accessible and powerful later works..." -- 4 out of 4 stars
Sight and Sound -
"[T]here are moments of great lyricism and tenderness."
Premiere - 06/01/2004
"[O]nly an idiot could fail to appreciate Bergman's spare, unflinching approach to the material, or the near-unbelievable level of skill and commitment the actors display."
Ingmar Bergman directed this portrait of a marriage slowly coming to a wrenching, furious end. Marianne and Johan had always seemed like the perfect couple--the one that would stay together when all others failed. But Johan has become infatuated with another woman, something that Marianne does not realize. When she learns the truth, she's plunged into agony...and the relationship unravels amid accusations and confrontations. The film was the winner of multiple awards from the National Society of Film Critics.
Essential Cinema |
Love Story |
- SCENES FROM A MARRIAGE was originally made for Swedish television, with a five-hour running time (six episodes at 50 minutes each). For the theatrical release, Bergman had the story edited down to 168 minutes.