- Rated: Unrated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 46 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: October 2, 2001
- Originally Released: 1988
- Label: Criterion
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Single Side - Dual Layer - RSDL
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.66
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Rolling Stone - 03/21/1991
"...[A] provocative and haunting thriller....A small gem..."
New York Times - 01/25/1991
"...[Sluizer] builds a disturbing horror story....Grim fascination to the very end..."
Los Angeles Times - 10/10/1990
"...THE VANISHING succeeds the old-fashioned way: by hooking us on characters and undercurrents, seducing us into a clean, logical nightmare..."
Wall Street Journal - 04/09/2010
"[With] one of the most effective -- and deeply creepy -- endings in movie thrillerdom."
A.V. Club - 10/29/2014
"It's a horror movie of a very unique sort, in which the killer is less terrifying than is the absence of information." -- Grade: A-
Three years after the mysterious abduction of his girlfriend while the two were on vacation, a man tracks down her kidnapper. The abductor, a seemingly normal professor who contacts the young man through the mail, is actually a cold-hearted clinician of terror. When her kidnapper promises to reveal the location of his lost loved one, their confrontation explodes.
After three years of searching for his mysteriously abducted girlfriend, a man tracks down the kidnapper who has been sending him mail, and confronts him.
- George Sluizer directed an English-language, American-produced version of this film in 1993, starring Jeff Bridges.
- Shown at the Montreal World Film Festival August 29, 1988.