- Rated: Unrated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 32 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: September 24, 2002
- Originally Released: 1993
- Label: Criterion
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Single Side - Dual Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 1.66
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.66
- Additional Release Material:
- Shorts: NO C4 FOR DANIEL-DANIEL
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Sight and Sound - 01/01/1993
"...Inconceivably authentic....MAN BITES DOG is a wonderfully ramshackle portrait..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 05/14/1993
"...A viciously funny mock documentary....MAN BITES DOG is a giddy send-up of documentaries that has spoofing fun with its tremulous hand-held cameras and wandering mike..."
A mock black comic documentary that spoofs reality TV, and questions the media's role in perpetuating and abetting violence. A homicidal maniac, serial-killer, Ben Patard, is accompanied on his killing sprees by a film crew who document, then later participate in, even as they question, his activities.
Black Comedy |
Cult Film |
- Filmed over a period of two-and-a-half years in Namur, Belgium. The filmmakers operated on a shoestring budget and would film scenes whenever film stock or funds became available.
- Won the International Critics' Prize at the 1992 Cannes Film Festival. Screened at the 1992 New York Film Festival.
- Alain Oppezzi was a sound recordist on the film along with filmmaker Vincent Tavier. Bénèdicte Lescalier did the makeup. Olivier de Lavelaye did the special effects.
- Rated BBFC 18 by the British Board of Film Classification for graphic violence, including the smothering of a young boy and the rape and murder of a young woman.
- Copyright 1992 Roxie Releasing.