- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 45 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: August 10, 1999
- Originally Released: 1992
- Label: Miramax Lionsgate
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
Performers, Cast and Crew:
New York Times - 02/17/1993
"...[Relies] enchantingly upon fate, magic and a taste for the supernatural....Prepare for a treat..."
Premiere - 09/01/1994
"...Proof that passion is a dish best served spicy hot..." - Recommended
Chicago Sun-Times - 04/02/1993
"...LIKE WATER FOR CHOCOLATE creates its own intense world of passion and romance....It continues the tradition of magical realism that is central to modern Latin film and literature..."
A sensuous comic fable of a young Mexican woman's tortured life and her main influences--her domineering mother, her forbidden lover, and the overwhelmingly sensual power of food and cooking. Based on the novel by Laura Esquivel.
Tita, as the youngest of three daughters, is condemned by family tradition never to marry, but to spend her life caring for her mother. However, Tita has fallen in love with a young man and he with her. When Tita's mother refuses to let them wed, and suggests that he marry her other daughter instead, Tita takes revenge: by allowing her passions to surface through her cooking, she manipulates the emotions of all who eat her food -- with some very strange and magical results.
Essential Cinema |
Family Interaction |
Love Story |
- Laserdisc #2111 offers the original Spanish soundtrack with yellow English subtitles on the digital track and a dubbed English soundtrack on the analog track.
- Rated BBFC 15 by the British Board of Film Classification.
- The best-selling book on which the film is based is a combination fiction and cookbook, as it includes the recipes for the foods Tita prepares in the story.
- Director/producer Alfonsau Arau and screenwriter/novelist Laura Esquivel are husband and wife.
- Other production companies: Arau Films International, Aviacsa, National Council for Cinema and the Arts, Mexican Institute of Cinema, National Tourist Development Fund, Government of the State of Coahuila, and the Cinema Development Fund.
- Copyright Buena Vista Pictures Distribution, Inc.