Johnnie Taylor Rated X-Traordinaire: The Best of Johnnie Taylor
Only 9 copies left
|You Save:||$2.01 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 CDs for $49.90
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: February 1, 2008
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Sbme Special Mkts.
- 1.Disco Lady
- 2.Somebody's Gettin' It
- 3.You're The Best In The World
- 4.Running Out Of Lies
- 5.Your Love Is Rated X
- 6.Stop Giving People Hard Luck Stories
- 7.I'm Just A Shoulder To Cry On
- 8.Love Is Better In The A.M. (Pt. 1 & 2)
- 9.Disco 9000
- 10.Right Now
- 11.Give Me My Baby
- 12.Play Something Pretty
- 13.(Ooh-Wee) She's Killing Me
- 14.Love Account
- 15.Just A Happy Song
- 16.God Is Standing By
Personnel includes: Johnnie Taylor (vocals, guitar); Bernie Worrell,
Rudy Robinson (arranger); Jay Graydon, Leroy Hadley, Willie Hampton (guitar); The Detroit Fisher Theatre Strings (strings); Fred Wesley And The Horny Horns (horns); Bobbie Barber, Barry Beckett, Reginald Burke (keyboards); William "Bootsy" Collins, Michael Henderson, Bob Ray (bass); Bobby Hall, Johnny Soul,
Lee Nathan Marcus (drums, percussion); Diane Davis, Donna Davis (background vocals).
Producers include: Don Davis, Wade Marcus, Johnnie Taylor, Jack Avery, Sr.,
Compilation producer: Leo Sacks.
Engineers include: Christopher Banninger, Pete Bishop, Don Davis.
Includes liner notes by Kalamu Ya Salaam.
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
This is part of Legacy's "Rhythm And Soul" series.
The 16-track Rated X-Traordinaire sets out to rescue the reputation of the Johnnie Taylor of 1976-1980, the period that began with his biggest smash, "Disco Lady," but that found him, so the conventional wisdom goes, a Southern soul man set adrift on the disco wave. Annotator Kalamu Ya Salaam argues that "Disco Lady" is not a disco song, and backs this up by noting that the track actually was played by members of Parliament-Funkadelic. True enough, though that only applies to Taylor's debut Columbia album, Eargasm. Elsewhere, Taylor did drift, from Muscle Shoals tracks that updated his Stax Memphis sound to tracks that sounded like Marvin Gaye. The early years, 1976 and 1977, were more accomplished than the later ones, and that's where compilation producer Leo Sacks focuses, with 12 of the 16 tracks coming from then. In so doing, he ignores R&B chart singles like "Keep on Dancing" and "Ever Ready," but he satisfies the "best-of" title. ~ William Ruhlmann
Johnnie TaylorLifetime: A Retrospective of Soul, Blues & Gospel,...
$25.50 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 6 ratings.
Based on 6 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 4,068
- UPC: 886972365329
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Bargain Audio CDs & Priceless Collection Product Series:
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 38 Special Rockin' Into The Night (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 38 Special Special Forces (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 38 Special Strength In Numbers (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 38 Special Tour De Force (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
R&B: Stax / Southern Soul Music Categories:
- Johnny Adams Essential Recordings: The Great Johnny Adams Jazz Album (CD) ~ $14.16
Arthur Alexander The Greatest (CD) ~
$16.04 Super Savings
- Arthur Alexander The Monument Years (CD) ~ $23.74
Darrell Banks I'm the One Who Loves You: The Complete Volt Recordings (CD) ~
$22.19 Super Savings
William Bell The Best of William Bell (CD) ~
$10.56 Super Savings