- Rated: R
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 30 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: November 23, 1999
- Originally Released: 1981
- Label: Sony Pictures
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Single Side - Dual Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Dolby Digital Surround - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Deleted Scenes
- Featurette: "Imagining Heavy Metal"
- Carl Macek Reads his Book "Heavy Metal: The Movie"
- Feature Length Rough Cut with Optional Commentary by Carl Macek
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
- Interactive Features:
- Interactive Menus
- Scene Access
- Text/Photo Galleries:
- Conceptual Art
- Heavy Metal Magazine Cover Gallery
- Pencil Portfolio with Animation
- Production Photos
- Single and Layered Cells Portfolio
Performers, Cast and Crew:
New York Times - 08/07/1981
"...Impressive....Animated with great verve, and scored very well..."
USA Today - 05/24/1996
"...Sassy, raunchy, outrageous and eye-pleasing..."
Total Film - 06/01/2000
This unique collection of six animated stories combines science fiction with fantasy, horror, comedy, sex and rock music.
The segments include "Harry Canyon" and "Den." In the first, a New York City cab driver gets mixed up with a beautiful femme fatale. Although he's become so hardened that he keeps a death ray in his car to kill troublesome riders, he lets his guard down long enough to fall for his latest passenger... and it could cost him his life.
In "Den," a nerdy student travels to another planet and transforms into a macho stud with incredible strength. While fighting villains, beautiful women throw themselves at him.
Other stories in this anthology feature the exploits of a beautiful female warrior, pilots fighting off a creature from another world, and a Pentagon secretary who gets captured by an alien. There's also one off-the-wall segment played purely for comic effect.
The stories are all linked by sequences featuring a fiendish green meteorite that claims to be the cause of evil throughout the world.
Cult Film |
Good Vs. Evil |
Heavy Metal |
Rock Music |
- The video contains a three-minute segment that wasn't included in the theatrical version of the film.
- Based on original art and stories by: Richard Corben, Angus McKie, Dan O'Bannon, Thomas Warkentin and Berni Wrightson.
- Stories include: "Harry Canyon" and "Den."
- Additional voices: Roger Bumpass and Zal Yanovsky.
- The movie was created by animation studios, directors and writers from the USA, UK, and Canada.