Paul Simon The Paul Simon Songbook [Bonus Tracks]
LOW STOCK: Only 3 copies left
|You Save:||$2.01 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 CDs for $49.90
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 23, 2004
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Sbme Special Mkts.
Rolling Stone - 4/15/04, p.1523 stars out of 5 - "Tracks to treasure are 'Kathy's Song' and 'Leaves That Are Green,' both even more wistful than the duo's versions."
Entertainment Weekly - 4/2/04, p.66"Imagine early S&G tunes without G: That's the essence of this unearthed '65 solo album." - Rating: B
Uncut - 5/04, p.1093 stars out of 5 - "When he murmurs in that weary, calmly melancholy way of his, he sounds like nothing less than the proverbial prophet quietly writing on the subway walls."
Dirty Linen - p.58"[A]s an alternate window into his talent and state of mind at the time, this is a fascinating and enjoyable listen."
Mojo (Publisher) - p.1163 stars out of 5 - "[F]ans of either the songwriter or the duo will find these skeletal prototypes at the very least interesting, and at the most entertainingly fascinating."
- 1.I Am A Rock
- 2.Leaves That Are Green
- 3.A Church Is Burning
- 4.April Come She Will
- 5.The Sound Of Silence
- 6.A Most Peculiar Man
- 7.He Was My Brother
- 8.Kathy's Song
- 9.The Side Of A Hill
- 10.A Simple Desultory Philippic (Or How I Was Robert McNamara'd Into Submission)
- 11.Flowers Never Bend With The Rainfall
- 13.I Am A Rock [alternate version]
- 14.A Church Is Burning [alternate version]
Solo performer: Paul Simon (vocals, acoustic guitar).
Producers: Reginald Warburton, Stanley West.
Recorded between June and July 1965. Includes liner notes by Paul Simon and Judith Piepe.
Personnel: Paul Simon (guitar).
Audio Mixer: Vic Anesini.
Recording information: 06/17/1965-07/04/1965.
Author: Paul Simon.
Photographer: David Lowe.
What a difference a year makes. After Simon & Garfunkel's 1964 debut album failed to set the world afire, Paul Simon moved to England, where he fell in with the London folk crowd and released his first solo album. In '65, while Simon was busy working as a solo acoustic artist, producer Tom Wilson was rearranging the acoustic version of S&G's "The Sound of Silence" with a full electric band, sparking the duo's breakthrough. Consequently, most of THE PAUL SIMON SONGBOOK would turn up in fleshed-out, folk-rock form as Simon & Garfunkel's '66 smash album SOUNDS OF SILENCE.
It's fascinating to hear the likes of "I Am a Rock," "Flowers Never Bend with the Rainfall," and, of course, the aforementioned ode to alienation with neither the familiar Garfunkel harmonies nor band accompaniment. The stark acoustic settings spotlight the 23-year-old Simon's early poetic songwriting and pure tenor voice, full of youthful earnestness. Simon & Garfunkel fans will also be tantalized by the presence of a couple of songs that never made SOUNDS OF SILENCE, which fall on the social-protest side, and a radically different--arguably better--version of the Dylan satire "A Simple Desultory Philippic."
Graceland (25th Anniversary) (180GV + Poster) (LP)
$19.35 LABOR DAY
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 11 ratings.
Based on 11 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 14,113
- UPC: 886972667621
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Bargain Audio CDs & Priceless Collection Product Series:
- 311 Playlist: The Very Best of 311 [Clean] (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 311 Soundsystem (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 311 Uplifter (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 38 Special Rockin' Into The Night (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Rock & Pop: Folk Rock Music Categories:
- Jerry Alfred Etsi Shon (Grandfather Song) (CD) ~ $16.18
- Eric Andersen Avalanche (CD) ~ $15.39 LABOR DAY
- Eric Andersen Vanguard Visionaries (CD) ~ $10.78
- Joan Armatrading Love & Affection: The Very Best of Joan Armatrading (CD) ~ $8.98 LABOR DAY
- Asylum Street Spankers Hot Lunch (CD) ~ $12.49 LABOR DAY