- Number of Discs: 3
- Rated: Not Rated
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 4 hours, 55 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: June 18, 2002
- Originally Released: 2000
- Label: Lions Gate
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Director's Cut
- Special Edition
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 1.85
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Dolby Digital Stereo - English
- DTS Surround 5.1 - English
- Additional Release Material:
- DEFINING MESSIAH - With scholars of all religious faiths
- SCIENCE FICTION ROUD TABLE DISCUSSION - With John Harrison, Richard Dreyfuss, Salman Rushdie, George Lucas, Alexa Poryas, Ursula K. Le Guin, Michael Crichton, Charles Elachi, William Gibson, Arthur C. Clark)
- Frank Herbert
- John Harrison - Director
- William Hurt - Star
Performers, Cast and Crew:
USA Today - 12/01/2000
"...This incredibly ambitious [and] successful adaptation gives Herbert's work the kind of luxury only a six-hour miniseries can provide....Harrison does a fine job of keeping this often densely plotted and deeply philosophical story moving..." -- 3 out of 4 stars
A more thorough and straightforward adaptation of Frank Herbert's beloved sci-fi novel than the 1984 David Lynch version, this six-hour Sci Fi Channel miniseries, written and directed by John Harrison, follows the Atreides family's adventures on the desert planet Arrakis. Far into the future, various factions fight for the valuable melange spice that exists exclusively on Arrakis and is protected by fierce, gigantic sandworms. While the indigenous, blue-eyed Arrakisians wait for their Messiah to free them from the corrupt Harkonnens, the family Atreides endures infighting and political intrigue. This sprawling and reverent production features a cast that includes William Hurt, Giancarlo Giannini, Alec Newman, Julie Cox, and Matt Keeslar.
Fantasy Worlds |
Future / Futuristic Worlds |
Outer Space |
Sci-Fi / Horror / Fantasy |
- Television release: December 3, 2000 (Sci-Fi channel)
- Filmed in Prague and Tunisia.
- Cinematographer Vittorio Storaro has photographed over 40 films, including APOCALYPSE NOW and THE LAST EMPEROR.
- Writer-director John Harrison cowrote Disney's DINOSAUR.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 581 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to
write an online review of this product!
- UPC: 012236125297
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 3 items