Bob Dylan Oh, Mercy
Only 4 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$6.14 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.84 (32% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: June 1, 2004
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: Sony
Rolling Stone - 11/89Ranked #44 in Rolling Stone's "100 Best Albums Of The 80s" survey.
Q - 3/93, p.944 Stars (out of 5) - "...OH MERCY put him in the studio with Daniel Lanois, who accordingly delivered his usual sticky-in-the-heat-of-the-night feel, and Dylan did the business with 10 superior songs..."
- $0.99 on iTunes1.Political World
- $0.99 on iTunes2.Where Teardrops Fall
- $0.99 on iTunes3.Everything Is Broken
- $1.29 on iTunes4.Ring Them Bells
- $0.99 on iTunes5.Man In The Long Black Coat
- $0.99 on iTunes6.Most Of The Time
- $0.99 on iTunes7.What Good Am I?
- $0.99 on iTunes8.Disease Of Conceit
- $0.99 on iTunes9.What Was It You Wanted
- $0.99 on iTunes10.Shooting Star
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Bob Dylan (vocals, 6- & 12-string guitars, guitar, harmonica, piano, organ); Daniel Lanois (guitar, lap steel, dobro, Omnichord); Mason Ruffner, Brian Stoltz, Paul Synegal (guitar); Rockin' Dopsie (accordion); John Hart (saxophone); Malcolm Burn (keyboards, tambourine); Tony Hall, Larry Jolivet (bass); Willie Green, Alton Rubin, Jr. (drums); David Rubin, Jr. (scrub board); Cyril Neville, Daryl Johnson (percussion).
The second half of the 1980s was a dark time for hardcore Dylan fans, as their hero released a string of overproduced, lackluster albums, but the trend was gloriously reversed in 1989 with OH MERCY. The record was produced by Eno acolyte Daniel Lanois, and would help make the Canadian studio wizard a first-call producer, in addition to righting Dylan's reputation. Accordingly for an album made in New Orleans, OH MERCY has a thick, swampy, organic feel that echoes the blues roots so fundamental to Dylan's aesthetic, while simultaneously re-imagining them in a fresh, contemporary setting.
The songs, too, were Dylan's strongest in years. The modal "Political World" and chugging "Everything Is Broken" accurately take the sociopolitical temperature of the times without resorting to pedantry. "Most of the Time" is as full of romantic regret as "What Was It You Wanted" (later covered by Willie Nelson) reeks of emotional aloofness, and "Man in the Long Black Coat" is a mortality meditation as foreboding as anything in Dylan's catalogue. Though Dylan would turn out one more sub-par album after this (UNDER THE RED SKY), OH MERCY nevertheless marked the master songwriter's powerful return and dramatic upswing.
Down the Tracks: The Music That Influenced Bob Dylan (DVD)(3)
$4.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 90 ratings.
Based on 90 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Live At The Atlanta International Pop Festival (2-CD)(44)
$15.89 Super Savings
All My Friends: Celebrating the Songs & Voice of Gregg... (CD)
$17.42 Super Savings
Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 3 - Disc 2 (CD)(3)
99¢ on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Ike & Tina Turner Golden Classics (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Del Vikings 1956 Audition Tapes (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Skeeter Davis Blueberry Hill / The End of The World (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WDAS 105.3FM - Classic Soul Hits, Volume 1 (2-CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Count Basie Blues By Basie / Dance Parade (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE