- Released: February 1, 2008
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Sbme Special Mkts.
Q - 10/02, p.1314 stars out of 5
- "...Starker and darker than her debut...making even more demands and is no less rewarding..."
Uncut - 1/03, p.97
Included in Uncut's "100 Best Albums of the Year"
- 1.You Don't Love Me When I Cry
- 2.Captain For Dark Mornings
- 3.Tom Cat Goodby
- 4.Mercy On Broadway
- 5.Save The Country
- 6.Gibsom Street
- 7.Time And Love
- 8.The Man Who Sends Me Home
- 9.Sweet Lovin' Baby
- 10.Captain Saint Lucifer
- 11.New York Tendaberry
- 12.Save The Country (Single Version) (Bonus Track)
- 13.In The Country Way (Bonus Track)
Personnel includes: Laura Nyro (vocals, piano); Jimmie Haskell (arranger, conductor).
Recorded in 1968-69. Bonus tracks recorded in 1968 & 1971.
Includes liner notes by David Fricke.
Laura Nyro, who died in 1997, found fame when her compositions were covered by other artists, including Blood, Sweat and Tears, Barbra Streisand, and the Fifth Dimension. Drawing inspiration from Broadway's Tin Pan Alley, R&B, and Brill Building acolytes Carole King and Ellie Greenwich, she wrote material echoing these elements without ever sounding derivative. NEW YORK TENDABERRY shows her skills to full effect, combining brassy, up-tempo pop with plaintive, introspective musings. Nyro's emotional voice swoops and dives at will, emphasizing the intensity of her songwriting. Uncompromising and challenging, this album showcases the art of a painfully underrated performer.