- Rated: PG-13
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 32 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: October 20, 1998
- Originally Released: 1997
- Label: Paramount
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.85
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Dolby Surround - English
- Dolby Surround - French
- Additional Release Material:
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
- Interactive Features:
- Scene Selection
- Interactive Menus
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Joan Cusack &
Lewis J. Stadlen,
Kate McGregor Stewart,
John Christopher Jones,
Chris L. McKenna,
Jonathan Michael Hershfield,
Becky Ann Baker,
William P. Hoag,
Niki Roma &
Dan Hanley &
Director of Photography:
USA Today - 09/19/1997
"...Full of topical belly laughs....IN is one coming-out party that aims to please nearly everyone..." -- 3 out of 4 stars
New York Times - 09/19/1997
"...IN AND OUT does deliver laughs and skewer a few stereotypes, thanks to extremely sly wit and a fine cast..."
Entertainment Weekly - 09/26/1997
"...A truly funny, sophisticated, compassionate mainstream Hollywood comedy..."
Los Angeles Times - 09/19/1997
"...IN & OUT is a comedy of the moment with laughs that last far into the night..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 09/19/1997
"...IN AND OUT is a lot of fun, an audience pleaser that creates characters that only become more likable the more the plot digs in..."
After three chaste years of engagement, popular high school teacher Howard Brackett (Kevin Kline) is finally getting married, and his upcoming wedding to Miss Emily Montgomery (Joan Cusack) is the talk of their small, friendly town. But when a hometown boy-made-movie star outs Howard as gay during his Best Actor Oscar acceptance speech on national television, Howard must convince his friends, family, fiancée, and students that he's straight before his wedding day--but can he convince himself' Joan Cusack received a Best Supporting Actress Oscar nomination for her role as the beleaguered fiancée in this Frank Oz-directed comedy.
Exuberant, tart, and gently mocking of America's straight-laced response to nontraditional sexual matters, IN & OUT traces the both painful and laugh-filled journey of popular teacher Howard Brackett (Kevin Kline) from being everyone's buddy to an being an oddity when he's outed on national television by a former student turned movie star. Only days away from marrying longtime fiancée Emily (Joan Cusack), Howard scrambles all over town assuring everyone that he's not gay and the wedding is still on. But a kiss from a male TV entertainment reporter (Tom Selleck) spins Howard's world upside down--or perhaps finally right-side up. A howlingly funny and dead-on script by Paul Rudnick, shining performances by Kline and Cusack, and a deftly crafted message about placing individuals above stereotypes propel IN & OUT into the upper echelon of social comedies.
- The story of Howard Brackett was inspired by Tom Hanks's "outing" of his retired drama teacher in his Oscar acceptance speech for PHILADELPHIA.
- Joan Cusack's Best Supporting Actress Oscar nomination for IN & OUT was her second, the first being for her role in WORKING GIRL.
- Screenwriter Paul Rudnick, as Libby Gelman-Waxner, writes a popular film-criticism column for PREMIERE magazine.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 401 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to
write an online review of this product!
- UPC: 097363298779
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item