Warner Bros. DVD Clearance Sale (series)
All The Uproarious Fun Of the Smash Broadway Play!
|You Save:||$11.99 (60% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Rated: Not Rated
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 2 hours, 3 minutes
- Video: Color
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: September 19, 2006
- Originally Released: 1955
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.78
- 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround - English
- Dolby Digital 1.0 - French.
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Henry Fonda, James Cagney, William Powell & Jack Lemmon|
|Performer:||Ward Bond, Betsy Palmer, Philip Carey, Nick Adams, Harry Carey, Jr., Ken Curtis, Frank Aletter, Fritz Ford, William Henry, William Hudson & Harry Tenbrook|
|Directed by||John Ford & Mervyn LeRoy|
|Edited by||Jack Murray|
|Screenwriting by||Joshua Logan & Frank S. Nugent|
|Composition by||Franz Waxman|
|Art Direction by||Art Loell|
|Produced by||Leland Hayward|
|Director of Photography:||Winton C. Hoch|
Academy Awards 1955 - Best Supporting Actor: Jack Lemmon
The film represents Henry Fonda's return to the screen after an absence of seven years, part of which was spent playing the eponymous officer in the immensely successful stage version of Thomas Heggen's novel. As cargo officer and second in command on a supply ship during World War II, the easygoing Lt. Doug Roberts is excluded from a much desired combat role while playing whipping boy to dyspeptic tyrant Captain Morion (James Cagney). Ensign Frank Pulver (Jack Lemmon), a brash yet cowardly wheeler-dealer, entertains Roberts with his elaborate pranks while the fatherly Doc (William Powell in his last screen appearance) offers advice. The young crew tries every available means of killing boredom, including eyeballing the nurses on a nearby island through a telescope, and Roberts does what he can to get them the R and R they badly need. The film had a troubled production history, mostly because of conflicts between Fonda, a friend of author Thomas Heggen's, and Ford, who wished to make changes that Fonda disliked. Shortly after physically attacking Fonda, Ford suffered a ruptured gallbladder and was replaced by Mervyn LeRoy. Fonda is excellent, and Lemmon gives an inspired, Oscar-winning performance in a film that flows evenly from the comic to the tragic and stands among the best World War II films produced in the 1950s.
Description by Warner Home Video:
Henry Fonda, James Cagney, William Powell and Academy Award(R) winner Jack Lemmon steer a ramshackle Navy cargo ship into the wartime comedy hall of fame. An all-time classic.
The crew of a World War II cargo ship comes to rely on the genial Mister Roberts to mediate the tantrums of an unqualified captain.
- MISTER ROBERTS features William Powell's final screen performance.
- John Ford was replaced by Mervyn LeRoy because of illness.
- Producer Leland Hayward also was responsible for the Broadway production.
- Henry Fonda played Mister Roberts on Broadway as well.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 123 ratings.
Based on 123 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 341
- UPC: 012569736351
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
3-2-1 Penguins: The Amazing Carnival of Complaining (DVD)(20)
$7.98 on SALE
4 Film Favorites: Martial Arts Collection (Rumble in the... (DVD)(2)
$6.98 on SALE
4 Film Favorites: Romance (The Bachelor / Laws of... (DVD)(7)
$6.98 on SALE
4 Film Favorites: Slasher Films Collection (Texas Chainsaw... (DVD)(11)
$8.98 on SALE
The Graduate (WS) (Decades Collection) (Includes Bonus... (DVD)(270)
$3.98 on SALE
Top ranking DVD:
- Sons of Kong: 10 Full-Length Movies on 3-DVDs (3D Pop-Up Case) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- The Golden Age of Cartoons: Cultoons! Rare, Lost and Strange Cartoons! Ads and Oddities (DVD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Herbie Hancock Possibilities (DVD + Music CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Redneck Zombies (20th Anniversary Edition) (DVD + CD Soundtrack) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Ferris Bueller's Day Off (DVD) ~ $4.98 on SALE